DHCP question

BSOL

Solid State Member
Hello evrybody,

I am running windows 2k server, however the cmputers don't recognize his and there are no ip leases what so ever.

I don't know why but the server himself doesn't obtain any ip.

I someone know enything about it PLEASE HELP!!!

Can you describe how your LAN is set up? Is everything connected to a Router/Switch connect to the Modem, or is everything going threw the Windows 2000 Server with Internet Connection Sharing?

In any case, you should try assigning your workstation's IP's manually. That may work.

My LAN is working without a router only with a simple switch(hub)

the hosts and the server are conected in the same level (like two stations) .

My goal is that every new computer will obtain an ip automaticly without me setting it as astatic address

Well it seems like your DHCP server isn't actually doing it's job. I would try reconfiguring your W2k DHCP server. If it's configured correctly every computer connected to the network should do exactly what you said and automatically pick up an IP address from your W2K Server.

I have tryed doing that several times with different guides but nothing helps.

Also I played with "ipconfig" to renew or lease the local ip (162.170...) that the windows gave him self but the result was "cann't find DHCP server".

First make sure your hub/switch is working. Give static ip's to two machines connected to the switch, make sure they are in the same subnet - then test connectivity between the two machines by using the ping command.

Once you have established that your switch is working fine focus your attention on the DHCP server. Make sure you have a connection through the switch between the clients and the server (using the static ip's) Then set the clients to obtain an ip address automatically. Leave the server with a static ip address. secondly create the scope on the server making sure that the scope is apart of the same subnet as the DHCP server, activate the scope and authorise the server you should see green arrows right the way through. Try renew the ip address on the clients and see what happens.

keep me posted

Thanks I already fixed it.

My mistake was that the scope I sat up wasn't at the same class as the ip of my server wich was set on a loopback.

Thanks any way

Back
Top Bottom