A couple of questions.

Freak4Dell

Baseband Member
I recently set up a server with NASLite+, software that turns a regular desktop into a NAS box. It works fine, but I'm worried about the speed. I tried asking these questions in the company's forum, but I guess nobody checks that anymore.

1. I have a 166MHz processor and 32MB of RAM in my NASBox. I also have a 250GB hard drive and a 160GB hard drive. Do you recommend that I add additional fans to keep the box cooler?

2. Do the processor and the RAM affect how fast my transfers from machine to machine go? I want to use this as a file server that can be accessed by multiple machines in my dorm hall, so it's got to run at least at a decent speed. We use DC++ to transfer files, and when I tested out a hub of my own on my home network, it ran about about 6MB/s, which is acceptable. Is this the performance I can expect from the box all the time, or will it be a lot slower than this?

First of all - get a decent processor and a decent amount of memory. 166MHz is dreadful alongside the 32MB of RAM you have, you can pick up a 1GHz processor and 256MB RAM for less than £50.

With the hard drives you have, it would be better to pair them with higher spec components because you will get overall better transfer speeds.

Back
Top Bottom