Constant 1 or 2 bars on my PCI wireless G adapter...

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I have a D-Link PCI wireless G adapter in my desktop (I got it for $10 used), but it's only getting 1-2 bars usually, and the rare 3 at most. I had this same adapter in a Pentium 3 system before I got my P4, it was further away from the router and it got 4 or 5 bars constantly. What might be the problem that It's only making 1-2 bars on my P4 where it was getting 4-5 on my P3? I have 6 fans in the P4 system. Might that interfere with the signal strength.

I need more bars from it because I use that desktop for file sharing. You are probably asking why I'm using wireless for file sharing though. Wireless is much cheaper than running hundreds of feet of wire all the way from the opposite side of the house on the bottom floor to get to the router. If all the systems were in the same room together, I would use wired, but everything is scattered throughout the house which makes it nearly impossible.

I was thinking about buying a brand new Linksys wirless G adapter, same brand as the router, but I don't know if it would really help or not.

Tell me what you think...

I have a D-Link PCI wireless G adapter in my desktop (I got it for $10 used), but it's only getting 1-2 bars usually, and the rare 3 at most. I had this same adapter in a Pentium 3 system before I got my P4, it was further away from the router and it got 4 or 5 bars constantly. What might be the problem that It's only making 1-2 bars on my P4 where it was getting 4-5 on my P3? I have 6 fans in the P4 system. Might that interfere with the signal strength.

I need more bars from it because I use that desktop for file sharing. You are probably asking why I'm using wireless for file sharing though. Wireless is much cheaper than running hundreds of feet of wire all the way from the opposite side of the house on the bottom floor to get to the router. If all the systems were in the same room together, I would use wired, but everything is scattered throughout the house which makes it nearly impossible.

I was thinking about buying a brand new Linksys wirless G adapter, same brand as the router, but I don't know if it would really help or not.

You suggest their far apart because of the large amount of wire you'd need to run, if their even 30ft apart in some conditions, 2 bars is good.

Also, you cannot rely on the windows bars as an accurate representation of your wireless signal.

Wireless is much cheaper than running hundreds of feet of wire all the way from the opposite side of the house on the bottom floor to get to the router. If all the systems were in the same room together, I would use wired, but everything is scattered throughout the house which makes it nearly impossible.

I think it's a good idea to have all hardware the same in this case that is. ;) Not only is wireless cheaper but stringing ethernet cables through the attic and drilling holes in walls for a wired network is a pain in the @$$.

Also, if your wireless router is on the bottom floor of your house. IMO, I think the location of your router (access point) will affect the quality of your wireless network through the rest of your home. Considering all the walls, doors, concrete etc...

The farther away you are from the AP the slower the connection.

How far are you away from the AP? Also, have any security enabled on the router? If so, also be an issue.

I took my laptop to the same spot in the house. It's getting 5 bars even in that place. It will get 5 bars even further away from the router than my desktop is. The desktop is about 20-30ish feet away going through 2 walls, cabinets, the floor, and AC ducts if you trace where the signal would go laterally. No security enabled, I don't need it out here in the country.

I think it's something with the card. It may be because of the different brands. I'll try changing the channels on the router and see if that works. I asked my friend about it and that's what he said. There's a wireless phone in the house, so that may be interfering, but the weird thing is that it's not interfering with the other 2 PCs in my house with wireless (one has a Linksys wirless card, the other is my laptop and has intel wireless).

I went through all the channels and found that channel 11 gets me 4 bars for the moment. Everything else was 3 or 2. It was originally on channel 6. I think that's pretty good for this adapter and the area that it's at compared to the router. I think I'm still going to eventually get a Linksys adapter. My brother's Linksys adapter gets a constant 5 bars and it's about as far away laterally as mine is. I'll throw the D-Link in something that I don't need to be so fast. Thanks for your help guys.

why dont you try taking the other wireless adapter and temperately replace the d-link. that would tell you if its the card is bad or not.

Yes, that could be done, but it's my brother's PC and adapter, and he's very picky. I can try it sometime maybe though.

The D-link isn't bad, I just don't think it has the signal strength of the Linksys.

Back
Top Bottom