Connection Speed Question

meister14

Beta member
I was just wondering...

I just bought a Wireless-N router and new adapter that has a speed of 300mbps. But my internet speed is only 8mbps. The fastest speed offered is 25mbps. Why would they have an adapter that has a speed of 300mbps when the fastest internet offered is 25mbps (i understand it might be different other places... but i haven't seen anyone offering 300mbps internet.

I figure that your speed will only be as fast as your slowest connection. So is that 300mbps adapter basically useless and can only run at 25mbps max? Thanks

It is "useless" in terms on Internet connection. However, in term of LAN connections it's much faster. You are right that your connection is only as fast as your slowest connection, but the idea of the adapter is to connect to the LAN. Useful for transfering files from one computer to another or connecting to a server to transfer data (of course you'll need to have at least that speed on the other LAN devices as well).

Exactly as above. Streaming HD video for instance - you'll soon see that this added bandwitch comes in handy!

Back
Top Bottom