Connection just drops in and out

Treevore

Beta member
We have been having on and off problems with our router and internet, culminating in the following situation.

When I boot up my computer, the wireless connection does not work. It says it is connected, but no internet traffic makes it through: It just hangs on "Looking up www.google.com" if I try to open Google.

I have to turn off and turn back on the connection to get it to work, and that is only a temporary fix.

Other times, the same thing where it is connected but there is no activity in occurs during internet time, or while I am on Xbox Live.

It is not our internet, as I can plug the computer straight into the modem and it works, but the router doesn't.

We have a NetGear WGR614 v5 wireless router. The Windows computers are updated with SP2.

I have tried turning everything off and then sequencially turning everything back on-modem, router, computers. This works sometimes, but I do not want to have to do this every day.

Any help out there?

Thanks in advance

I'm bettin it's an IP conflict with your Xbox..
I had this same problem with my PS2

Even though your not "connected" to Xbox live your router sees it and it's asking for an IP.. But so is your network card.

See if you can set up DHCP Static IP in your routers CP.. If you can.. Give your wireless card a higher IP address.. Make sure it's still in the IP range..

Back
Top Bottom