Connecting two computers via anything

funkadelicfred

Beta member
I have a desktop and a laptop and I am not very computer knowledgeable. Is there any way to view the files and data on my laptop from my dekstop and vice versa? They're on the same Internet and everything.

If by saying "there on the same internet and everything" you really mean that they're connected to the same network, then sharing between them is not difficult. You need to go into Win Explorer, right click on the folder you want the other computer to be able to access, select "Share with..." and setup that folder to be shared.

I have the homegroup set up and all that but no files are being shared. One is Windows 7 and one is only Windows 7 Starter and I know Starter has some limitations but that doesn't reach to homegroup sharing does it?

From my link:
All that is left to do before you can share files between computers is to access that homegroup from other machines. To do this in Windows 7, you will need to turn on the machine, click on the start menu, and access the control panel just like before. Find the link to "Choose homegroup and sharing options" under the "Network and Internet" category.
Instead of creating a new homegroup, however, you will see an alert box that tells you a homegroup has been detected on your network. Click the "Join Now" button. You will enter the password you saved from the other computer and select the file types just like before.
Wait a moment while the connection is established, after which you are ready to share files between computers.

Accessing Shared Files
If you want to minimize the necessary clicks to access files shared between computers, you can create a shortcut on your desktop. The easiest way to do this is to create a shortcut on your desktop.
Click the start menu, then the "Computer" button on the right-hand portion of the menu.
Double-click the hard disk drive (usually "C").
Double-click the "Users" folder on the next screen.
Right-click the "Public" folder and click "Create shortcut”.
Rename the short cut folder to whatever you like, then drag it to the desktop.
Now you are ready to transfer files between computers, share documents, stream music, share printers, and anything else you would like to include on your Homegroup.

Windows 7 Starter is only limited in that it can join homegroups but not create one.

Back
Top Bottom