connecting two computers to share files.

superman22x

Golden Master
Hi, I just built a new computer and want to transfer my old documents from my old one via a network, and eventually I will want to network the two. The old computer has XP Home and the new one has Vista RC1. How do I network the two via a cat5 cable to share files? I couldnt use teh transfer wizard from Vista, wouldny work on my old one for some reason.

You can't just connect the 2 with a single CAT5 cable. If you're going to directly connect the PCs, you need a crossover cable. You can either buy a premade crossover cable, buy an adapter, or make one yourself (kind of complicated, but will save you some money). The other way that you can do it is connect both PCs to a router/hub/switch with a regular CAT5 cable.

Oh, so i cant set up a network with a single cat5 cable is what your saying, I see. Ok, how can I connect the two commputers to transfer files than? The cheapest way.

Like freestyler105 said, you need a single crossover cable. They sell these anywhere you can get computer parts/cables from. It looks like a standard Cat5 cable, but two wires are crossed, making it a crossover cable. You would then connect the cable to each PCs network card, and they should see each other. First things first, you need a crossover cable to go any further, or like freestyler105 said, the other alternative is to get a router.

No! You'd be cloning the old machine in its entireity, and it wouldnt be happy when it woke up in a different system.

Simply use a crossover cable between the two network ports and share the folders.

superman22x said:
Hi, I just built a new computer and want to transfer my old documents from my old one via a network, and eventually I will want to network the two. The old computer has XP Home and the new one has Vista RC1. How do I network the two via a cat5 cable to share files? I couldnt use teh transfer wizard from Vista, wouldny work on my old one for some reason.

Are the PCs new? Newer NICs dont require a crossover cable. you can just use a standard Cat5E cable.

give it a shot, if you dont get a connection then i would go for the crossover, you can get them at staples

Sugarat said:
No! You'd be cloning the old machine in its entireity, and it wouldnt be happy when it woke up in a different system.

Simply use a crossover cable between the two network ports and share the folders.

Not neccessarily, if you run the sysprep command first it takes everything off so the image will work on any system. I still agree that the cable is the way to go tho, just thought id give ya that info for future reference.

you could always connect your old pcs hard drive as a slave in the new pc and then tanfer files but i agree its easyier to get a crossover cable and bobs your uncle

Back
Top Bottom