College connection

burton_o61

Daemon Poster
ok as some of you are aware, i am in college right now. The way we connect in the dorms is completely retarded, we have to first connect to our network using what ever type of media(wireless or wired). We then need to dial up to the isp. Now our connection is almost not even worth bothering with because we have a 2mb dsl connection coming into this dormatory that 40 plus people need to share. Anyways, WHEN i actually get connected to the wireless network. And then dialed up, i will get kicked off at a random amount of time. When i try to dial back up, i will get an error 734 saying "The ppp link control protocol was terminated". This also happens when i am hardwired. Another thing is that it happens with my old computer too. It all started about 2 months ago. I have the allow unsecure password chosen. Anybody have any ideas?

So there's 40 plus user's accessing one wireless router? or 40 plus user's accessing various wireless router's? You have to connect to one of the routers then sign into the isp account with the credentials you were give? I'm just asking so I can clarify for myself.

After connection you surf the web for a bit then get booted. When attempting to connect to......the wireless router or the ISP access? you receive the 734 error.

I'm familiar w/ these kinds of erros when user's are trying to connect to an internal network via vpn dialer. If you are familar w/ this please verify.

Anyoneelse in the dorm experiencing these issues? Ask dorm authorities/administrators if a new restriction has been placed on the access of the network.

grip said:
I just checked this link out. You should to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318718

If this does or doesn't help please post.
The website say's:
APPLIES TO

•Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition•Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)•Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)•Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)•Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition•Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition

So he must be running W2K Pro. Burton_06, what OS are you running?

Samurai, do you have any ideas on Burton_06's issue?

Ok, sorry for not checking back to my post.

Question 1. One signal from the isp is coming into our network. Then we have around 4 routers sending out the wireless signal to each hall. But the fact that it is wireless is irrelevant.Because this same thing happens when i plug in as well.

Question 2. Yes we have to connect to the wireless router, or plug in. THEN we have to dial up to the isp.

Question 3. Its not so random anymore. I notice a correlation between loosing a wireless connection/or unplugging the cable, and getting the error when trying to reconnect.

Question 4. I have TWO computers. One has xp pro, one has vista home premium.

I have learned since my initial post that this is not a 2 mb connection coming onto this campus. It is a 512kb.(i know, amazingly ridiculous)

So while i was typing this post, a thought just popped into my head that may or may not make sence. Is it possible that when i get disconnected. That while im trying to reconnect there is just too many people connected to the main router? Or that the network admins are restricting the amount of people accessing the network?

By the way i had already checked out that page that you suggested.

maybe there's a time limit that you can be on the dial up? Have you ever timed how long you're on until you get booted? I see your first post says it's random but have you actually payed close attention to that? That's a shot in the dark. I would consult with the powers that be about restrictions on the network and so forth.

Is anyonelse in the dorm experiencing this? Do you get the same problems no matter what floor you're on? I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Well college is out and i wont be going back to that campus for about another year or so...Never did get an anwser. I called the isp and they said that it is very abnormal and they were GOING to send a technician to the dorms. So who know, if it happens when i go back ill be sure to post.

Back
Top Bottom