Client DNS servers resetting

exark

Beta member
We have just set up a new Windows domain. Our Domain controller, 192.168.42.36, is running Active Directory and our school's DNS server, which points to the main DNS server in our school district (192.168.1.222). Our DHCP server is a Linux box. It is sending out 192.168.42.36 as the DNS server the clients should be using. Whenever we update the ip on the clients, they take the 192.168.42.36 as the DNS server. However, after about an hour, the clients somehow set their DNS server to 192.168.37.2, which is a deprecated server running at the main office. We've looked through all our servers and have no idea where that DNS server could be coming from. Any suggestions as to where that update might originate from?

Why not use the static IP's for the DNS. Just input it in the clients. Are there too many to do that? I used to work in a school district so I kinda know how it is. We had lots of computers. How are the other schools set up? Compare it to another school similar. Anymore details or updates?

Thanks for the suggestion. That is ultimately what we did. Unfortunately, the clients seem to be dropping from the domain and we have no clue as to why. Problems abound. But thanks anyways

If the clients are being dropped from the DNS then there must be a problem on the server. Not sure what it could be without looking at it myself but hope you get it all worked out.

Back
Top Bottom