Change MAC Address in Vista

zlashed

Baseband Member
I'm having trouble changing my MAC address in vista. I have attempted to change it using two methods, but both failed. I tried navigating to the properties on my Network Connection and configuring my Network Adapter (Atheros AR5006X) and changing it there. After a reboot the newly entered MAC address was still present (in properties), but upon using IPCONFIG/all, my original MAC address still showed. I also tried using regedt32 and navigating to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}

then navigating to the Atheros subkey and setting the NetworkAddress string to a new MAC address and rebooting. After the reboot, ipconfig/all still shows my original address. I am in desperate need of help and I would really appreciate anyone who could provide even a slight amount of info. Thanks in advance.

Why are you trying to change your MAC address? Generally speaking it's the IP people want changed...

ipconfig doesn't show your mac address if you want to see your mac address in cmd you type getmac however I'm pretty sure you can't change your address since its the address of your hardware.

You cannot change your MAC address. As Celegrom said you are probably looking to change your IP not your MAC address.

ipconfig doesn't show your mac address if you want to see your mac address in cmd you type getmac however I'm pretty sure you can't change your address since its the address of your hardware.

ipconfig does show your MAC address, you just have to use the /all option. To the OP the command looks like this:

ipconfig /all

or you can use as a1 said

getmac

Back
Top Bottom