Cat 5 Spitter?

mac_rules_24/7

Solid State Member
Are there any cat 5 cable spitters that have all of the wires go to both jacks? or anything that will work?

I got a spitter for my xbox because I ran a 50 foot cable into by basement for my brothers computer and since there is no other port on his computer I got a splitter. I did not know that it would actually split the cable wires.

So is there anything that I can do or buy to get another internet port. I rather go direct with the internet connection for the strongest signal.

Do you have a router? If not, I highly reccomend you get one.

The internet connection from your modem goes to the router, which has a firewall (usually) and assigns ip's to the devices in the network. You just run a normal cat5/e/6 cable to each of the computers from the router. If there are more devices than ports on the router, connect a switch/hub to the router.

Switches or hubs can be used in place of a router, although it is much less efficient.

Do you have a router? If not, I highly reccomend you get one.

The internet connection from your modem goes to the router, which has a firewall (usually) and assigns ip's to the devices in the network. You just run a normal cat5/e/6 cable to each of the computers from the router. If there are more devices than ports on the router, connect a switch/hub to the router.

Switches or hubs can be used in place of a router, although it is much less efficient.

To elaberate a little.

A splitter that you are thinking about would be more like a hub or switch.

They are pretty much like a clean way of twisting the wires.
(two wires together)
(which I HIGHLY suggest you don't do)

Routers actually assign a lan (local network) ip to the device.
Here is a good demonstration of how they work (Link)

I would suggest you pick up a router, although you can use a hub/switch.
Hell if you wanted to you could use a patch panel..

I need something that will give me more ports on the computer so that I will be able to connect two cat 5 cables into the computer, one from my router and one from my xbox. There is only one port on the computer that I will be using, which is my problem.

Hub, switch, router. They all have multiple ports to plug in ethernet cable, along with 1 input for an ethernet cable from your modem.

Edit-If you want 2 ethernet ports, I suppose you could use one of these... a hub/switch or router would be MUCH more cost effectice though.

Link

I'd run it into a switch / hub. It'd be easier that way, they really don't cost much at all these days, you're not relying on the PC for the other connection and it'll give you more room to expand later.

I need something that will give me more ports on the computer so that I will be able to connect two cat 5 cables into the computer, one from my router and one from my xbox. There is only one port on the computer that I will be using, which is my problem.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You don't need to connect them both into the computer. And doesn't your router have more than 1 port on it?

We need to get straightened out the devices that you currently have.

Your internet should come out of the wall jack and run into a modem. This will be a device with 2 ports (one for the interent IN from the wall and one for the internet OUT). The out typically goes into the Computer. However, it can go out into a router -- allowing you to share the connection between multiple devices. If you want to properly hook up the computer and the XBox then I highly recommend you get a router because they are designed to share connections.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a switch will allow you to share connections. It will only work if there is already a router in place.

Back
Top Bottom