Cat-3 to Cat-5?

Shadowmoose

Baseband Member
So my friends and I were in a corner of our colleges cafeteria and we found an old Cat-3 cable hanging down from the ceiling along the wall. It had a female jack on the end and all but two of it's wires ripped out the back. So we rewired the connector and it was color coded in a funny way but we think we got it down. We had a laptop but no cable to connect it to the port.

My question is that if we indeed wired it correctly, can I plug a Cat-5 cable into the female end of the Cat-3 and then to my laptop, and assuming there is an active connection to the line in the first place, will the signal go through?

And the Cat-3 cable was an 8wire version if that makes a difference.

So my friends and I were in a corner of our colleges cafeteria and we found an old Cat-3 cable hanging down from the ceiling along the wall. It had a female jack on the end and all but two of it's wires ripped out the back. So we rewired the connector and it was color coded in a funny way but we think we got it down. We had a laptop but no cable to connect it to the port.

My question is that if we indeed wired it correctly, can I plug a Cat-5 cable into the female end of the Cat-3 and then to my laptop, and assuming there is an active connection to the line in the first place, will the signal go through?

And the Cat-3 cable was an 8wire version if that makes a difference.

CAT3 only has 6 wires, not 8...

There were two types of green wires, two types of brown wires, two types of blue wires, and two types of orange wires. Isn't that 8? And the side of the cable said Cat-3.

Cat 3 cable has 8 wires just like Cat 5. Cat 3 is just slower than cat 5. Difference being in the number of and tightness of twists per foot of cable..........or so says google

cat 5 Tbase 10/100 networking only uses four of the wires anyway.

Back
Top Bottom