Cant ping local pc, but have internet

cnl83

Baseband Member
I have a weird situation. None of the computers on the network can ping each other, but they are all connected to the internet and are mapped to network drives on the server. All the computers are static IP address, so DHCP is disabled.

Cavalier DSL > Sonic Firewall > Network Switch > Computers

The sonicwall has DHCP enabled for 10 computers but nothing else. Thats only for when the laptops need to get on the net.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

is the switch attached to the firewall? (like integgrated).

is it a managed switch? are pings blocked at the switch level?
are personal firewalls on the machines dropping the ping requests.

can you ping the router/DHCP server?

can you ping other sites on the internet?

is the switch attached to the firewall? (like integgrated).
No, switch is seperate,

is it a managed switch? are pings blocked at the switch level?
No and has never been configured. An unconfigured switch is normally wide open

are personal firewalls on the machines dropping the ping requests.
No personal firewalls, the sonicwall is the firewall.

can you ping the router/DHCP server?
I cannot ping the gateway 192.168.1.254, router, or anything on the network, but they can establish an internet connection.

Can you ping other sites on the internet?
Cannot Ping www.yahoo.com

"is it a managed switch? are pings blocked at the switch level?
No and has never been configured. An unconfigured switch is normally wide open"

oh that depends on each one some are different. ps: never just ashume

The default gateway is your router. Can you ping ANYTHING? What about the server? Are these workstations being controlled in active directory by any group polices? If the switch is not configured to block ping requests, work your way up. Check the router, then check the server, which I assume is your DC? How does the layout of the network play out, exactly?

Oh and another thing, what is the error message you receive when trying to ping anything? Request timed out, or the DNS error? (Please check the name and try again)

Perhaps the Sonicwall isn't configured to allow icmp traffic. Are all the client pc's windows? Have you disabled Windows Firewall on each client pc?

Back
Top Bottom