Can I Create a Home Network Using a Cross-Over Cable?

acphenom

Daemon Poster
As the title says. I recently spent a lot of money on a new PC, so i don't fancy buying a load of network devices, and i don't know much about them anyway. Basically, i heard that you could connect 2 computers together using a cross-over cable, so i was wondering if i could do the following with my old PC, connected to my new PC (with the internet):

access the internet
access files on my new PC
transfer files to and from the PCs

Any help greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know the cheapest way to get a cross-over cable. My friend told me that he could make one out of an Ethernet cable.

yes you can.. just use ICS to share the internet and run the network utility to setup the workgroups for the two computers.

five finger discount? or to be legit just make a cross over cable with an exsisting straight cable... if you dont know how .. check google for color codes. i dont know them off the top of my head.

Thanks, i thought something like that. My old-man should be able to make me one. He got loads of cables.

-white/orange
-orange
-white/green
-blue
-white/blue
-green
-white/brown
-brown

there you go make sure white/orange is in the furthers to right side of the rj45 clip (make sure the plasitc thing what releases it from network card is sticking up visa/versa if facing down.

:D

Wow, thanks, Grickey! My dad is thinking of making me one of them, so it's great he don't have to go read through his 'notes' again. Thanks again, mate! :D

Wow, thank you, Chado! Awesome site, man. Many thanks, cause sadly, i still haven't got round to the CC cable. :D

Back
Top Bottom