C$ Broke

total5

Beta member
Apologies if this is on the wrong board but here goes......

Our network is some 6.5, 5 Netware and Windows 2003 boxes, everything is in eDirectory and Zfd management agent on all machines and we use Group Policies delivered by Zen.

I use the C$ every now and then to move files etc.. but for some reason this has stopped working, so has the admin$.

As far as I know nothing has been changed in the Group Policies and this problem is happening across all of our workstations that I try to connect to, it also happens when I try connecting to other machines from other machines (if you know what I mean)

I have done a 'net share' command and all the usual shares are there and I have also done this on the machines that I am trying to connect to

If I try to connect to '\\IPaddress\C$' I get the message -
A device attached to the system is not functioning

If I try to connect to '\\MachineName\C$' I get the message -
Windows cannot find \\MachineName\C$. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the start button and then clicking search

Any ideas on this would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like there is something wrong with the file sharing. not sure what, but something is definatly wrong.

Check machine that you are operating from and make sure inside the network properties you have file and print sharing installed. If so then double click on my network places and find the computers you are looking for and make sure you can see them. If not then you have a network problem or IP address' missing on said machine. Double check everything that has to do with networking, ie... properties, IP's, hardware connections, cables, and such. Make sure everything is working properly. Post back with update.

I found the problem.... and it was that file and print sharing had been disabled on the machines in question.

Back
Top Bottom