Bridging wireless-to-wired in XP

nomad312

Solid State Member
I'm trying to use my WinXP laptop as a bridge to allow another system (a gamecube, actually) to connect to my network.

The way it's set up is that the laptop has built-in wireless, and can normally connect to the router (your standard linksys 802.11g deal) without any problems. This shows up as "Wireless Network Connection" on the network connections screen. It also has a wired setup ("Local Area Connection") which is usually disabled unless I need it. What I want to do here is get the connection to the router using the wireless, and then use the wired setup to let the gamecube connect through the laptop (running a LAN cable to this room is not an option... and yes, I am using a crossover cable here).

As I understand it, this could be accomplished by using the "network bridge" in XP. Now, I'd end up with a huge confusing post if I wrote down everything I tried, so I'll condense the problem for now:

After I create the bridge (using wireless and wired as the two connections), I can't get any connection from the router. Can't load any pages, and when I try to view the status of any of the connections, I see packets sent, but never recieved.

What could be causing this?

1st thing you need to do is buy a crossover cable thats for the connection from the laptop to the gamecube

then on your router
change the internal network ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1

it will reassign ip's and your laptop will now be the 192.168.2.???

take that wireless connection on your laptop
and enable share this internet connection
and share it to your laptop's ethernet port

and that should work!!!

Back
Top Bottom