accessing software on a server

iffy

In Runtime
Ok here is the scenario, please tell me if this is possible.

I have a package (back office software) sitting on the server. I do not have this package installed on client machines. Can I go through network using client machine and locate package on server and edit info on it?

Does the package on the server store information in a database? Config files? Unless said package is designed to work over a network it is unlikely that you can access the package program itself from the clients, but you might be able to modify the data (though you would have to make your own editing tools, if required).

Thanks for the reply buddy. I shall try and be more specific now.

Current set-up
I have four pc's, one server three clients. I run two flight programs, one back office package and print server from the server. At the moment the back office software takes it's data from an external server (flight operators) and populates itself. However, the back office software is in theory accesible from all clients but due to technical problems just now it isn't. The backoffice software allows the the creation of invoices etc.

Action
I am upgraded all pc's. I will have four clients and one server. I wanted to initially run win 7 but due to a few problems, will have to run win xp. But which version I need advice on.

Problem
1. The developer who originally sold the package to us wants too much to upgrade to a package compatible with win 7.
2. The developer will only install the back office software on the server, which means editting etc can only be done on the server.

What I need
I would ideally like to be able to somehow access, save and edit the back office software from the clients. I would also like to save all data to do with flights directly on to the server so that it can be backed regularly. I would also like to be able to access the server from outside the office via an internet link. Please advise if this is possible and how? Thank you. One more thing. The back office software is database driven.

Back
Top Bottom