Hello from Thailand

jimautosthailand

Solid State Member
Glad to run into the forum. I have perused some of the threads here and people seem quite friendly defying the surly condescending stereotype of a techie. I'm a retired CIO from the US now settled in Thailand and re-inventing myself in my retirement by taking up web design of a friend's websites here. I started out in IT then known as MIS with mainframe computers where we were the kings and departments used to treat us as kings so they could cajole us into putting their request for computing on the top of the list. Then saw advent of minicomputers followed by Apple computer then PC then Mac and the whole computing scene changed. Now technology has accelerated so much that even though I was at the top of my game when I retired writing for computer magazines and being quoted in them, I find myself a beginner at times and my grand children are way ahead of me in certain things. Such is the blessing of our field that it advances so rapidly that none of us have time to take a break.

Welcome to the forum Jim. I worked as a mainfame programmer at IBM back in the days before the microcomputer. I tried retirement for a year but decided I didn't like it so went back to work.

What made you decide to retire in Thailand?

Thanks Strolin! Thanks Smart_Guy! Thanks for the welcome.

Strolin, yes retirement is not for us guys. It seems I'm spending more time on the computer than I was working. Love Thailand, also loved living in Dubai. Both of these places have almost zero crime, you never have to look over your shoulder. In New York I always had to keep cognizance of my environs. Dubai gets a very cold days but Thailand is warm 12 months so I never get many opportunities to wear my full sleeved shirts. Plus people are friendly and food is great.

Am interested in learning about SEO but I gather there is no section here on it.

Smart_Guy how do you like living in Saudi.

Hmm... I can't say that I like it, but I'm ay okay with it. No place is really perfect to live in, in my opinion.

Some examples for that here are: it is typically safe here but general security arrangements and preparations are bad, education is free including actually giving salary in local universities within some rules but education itself is badly presented, there are no taxes here except for private business firms, tobacco, energy drinks and soda (last three are new), health care is free for locals but medial mistakes are not looked at seriously...

But generally speaking, I think this place has much more bad than good, but the little good it has to offer is okay with me and kinda covers up for the bad. I mean safety comes first, right? It is sad tho that lately some radicals targeted public and places and mosques.

I believe that no place exists without having similar conflicts.

Hmm... I can't say that I like it, but I'm ay okay with it. No place is really perfect to live in, in my opinion.

Some examples for that here are: it is typically safe here but general security arrangements and preparations are bad, education is free including actually giving salary in local universities within some rules but education itself is badly presented, there are no taxes here except for private business firms, tobacco, energy drinks and soda (last three are new), health care is free for locals but medial mistakes are not looked at seriously...

But generally speaking, I think this place has much more bad than good, but the little good it has to offer is okay with me and kinda covers up for the bad. I mean safety comes first, right? It is sad tho that lately some radicals targeted public and places and mosques.

I believe that no place exists without having similar conflicts.

Yepp it is always a compromise. Tax though is coming. I visited Saudi a few times and UAE is far ahead of them in terms of education, facilities, culture, medical care and friendliness.

Thanks for sharing your view.

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

Strolin, got a quote you will like: "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics (1949)

Yup and they'll probably have more than 4K of CORE memory too!

Yepp. I remember in my MBA class my intro to MIS class my teacher told us: "the computers now come with 64K of RAM and that is a LOT, a LOT, a LOT of memory. You will never ever need more than that." And that was in 1981.

I love crab and I heard that Bangkok has mud crab. It was one of my dream destinations for sometimes before I realized traveling is expensive :D

Back
Top Bottom