Your First Computer

My first PC was a second hand HP running ME. Needless to say it was awful.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

My first PC was a second hand HP running ME. Needless to say it was awful.

Mossiac

Awful for todays time sure, but back then it was probably more than managable.

I don't really know what my first one was but it had a floppy drive. And by floppy drive I mean a 5 1/4 inch drive. As in this:
800px-Floppy_disk_8inch_vs_3.5inch-1.jpg

I had several games on it.

One was a racing game that had it's own joystick.

One was a winter olympic game that had this stupid code wheel thing (which I of course lost and then the game was useless). I couldn't find the actual one, but it was just like this:
375768-bt3_0087.jpg

Basically the game gives you 3 words and when you match those three words up along the edges of the wheel a "code" is revealed along the inside. Then you had to put that code in to start the game.

It also had a Wheel of Fortune game, but with a limited puzzle selection after playing it for awhile you eventually would be able to solve the puzzle without even guessing any letters.

I had SimFarm, which I played the crap out of.
simfarm_5.gif

I also had a Megaman game that I sucked at, but got really good at one level. I forget which one, but it was the only one I could beat so I just played it over and over and over....
50b58b02835ab_279623b.jpg

I had to exit Windows and go to a DOS prompt and enter some commands to play all of these games.
C:A:Simfarm <enter>
A:SIMFARM:simfarm.exe <enter>

Last edited:
No it truly was awful. It took about 15 minutes to boot and another 10 to log in. The only thing I could tolerate using it for was word and excel.

My brother had a Windows 95 machine at the time that was much much faster and better all round really.

Mossiac

My first computer was an IBM PC in 1984. It was a beast of a machine with a 4.77Mhz 8088 cpu, 256KB of RAM, 2 5 1/4" floppies, a CGA video card capable of 4 of the ugliest colors you ever saw, 1 parallel port and 1 serial port. Even with my employee discount (I worked for IBM at the time) it cost $2500 including a 80cps printer.

ibmpc.jpg

Here's an example of it's color graphics capability:

cga_sample.jpg

I remember mine like it was yesterday. Well, I'm not that old to forget it anyway.

It was a:

CPU: Intel 386DX 25MHz
RAM: 4MB only
Mobo: Something
Some VESA compatible video card with like a bunch of kilobytes VRAM
HDD: 90MB only
Diskdrives: one 3.5 and one 5.25 floppy drives
Keyboard only
Some VGA 14" monitor

That's it. No sound card no Optical drive no mouse :(

Man, playing Doom2 took it's breaths out to run fine and on low details. For some reason Doom1 worked almost fine on high details.

Later on I upgraded it with a Creative Soundblaster 16 sound card that came bundled with a CR-ROM 8X, Windows 3.11 and a mouse.

My favorite video game at that time was Prehistoric2:
Prehistorik 2 Level 1 100% - YouTube

And I enjoyed doodling on the Paint on Windows 3.11 which toke too much of my time.

Man, that was sooo much fun. Now that we have access to like anything we want online, the fun kinda dwindled.

Why should they be merged? IMO, they are separate subjects, one is your first computer, the other your first build. For some, their first compuyer may also have been their first build but I suspect most of us did not build our first computer.

Back
Top Bottom