Yay!

Whyfly??

Daemon Poster
Well I just ordered and a few quick questions.
Here is what I ordered
Antec 1200

XFX Geforce 260 Core 216

OCZ Modstream 600 Watt Pro

Thermal Compound Just In Case

Samsung DVD Burner

Western Digital 640 gig Hard drive

4 Gigs G.Skill RAM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

Vista with Windows 7 upgrade

AMD Phenom II 940 BE

Power Cable Extender Just in Case

Quick Questions.
How is that card? I seem to be getting all types of reviews for it, they aren't really consistent in terms of rating.
Am I missing anything? (I got cathodes)
What can I expect when I open the box up, any tips or pointers? (First build)
You guys have any good guides?
Now some things I noticed.
What is up with the 940? It's like in stock for an hour or two and then gone, I got lucky and got it just before I was about to order the 955.
Also I noticed some things came from different states, will they come in their own box or will it all be together?
I really need guides, I've been reading like the first three google pages but nothing seems to cover everything I have.
Please guys tips, comments, pointers :) (How to apply thermal paste, good cable management cooling etc.!)
Thanks for helping me pick these parts :D
Also one thing, do you guys like Build Threads? Like me taking photos step by step, or is that not a practice here as I haven't seen many?
Thanks again!

now we are talking!
thats a nice card
use gloves with the CPU installation, ground yourself (if you are unsure)
i guess the 940 is popular, ionno

for thermal paste put a dot on there about the size of a bb, smaller then a pea
the gurus can correct me if im wrong

i wont mind a build log
but some places have mod logs
and there are some NICE rigs out there

now we are talking!
thats a nice card
use gloves with the CPU installation, ground yourself (if you are unsure)
i guess the 940 is popular, ionno

for thermal paste put a dot on there about the size of a bb, smaller then a pea
the gurus can correct me if im wrong

i wont mind a build log
but some places have mod logs
and there are some NICE rigs out there

Thanks man! Quick response!
Do I need gloves?
Here is my system of making it, in my room it is wooden.
So I take off socks, work on my desk and floor and hold on to the case whenever possible, if not my dad and I will whip up a wrist strap with those little metal things, what are they called?
Yeah the 940 was like in stock for like two months straight before and it just started now, IDK.
Yeah that's what I thought with thermal paste, helps to know someone is saying the same thing.
Depending what people say I may or may not do a build log.
Thanks!

EDIT: Lmao might as well pull out the Red Bull, I won't be sleeping these nights :D

i wouldnt risk it with the CPU
but the other parts i didnt use gloves
but thats just me
its your rig your call

i wouldnt risk it with the CPU
but the other parts i didnt use gloves
but thats just me
its your rig your call

Yeah kinda dumb since my house LITERALLY has gloves for every occasional lol.
But what kind of gloves exactly?
The nurses gloves, thick heavy leather gloves?
Thanks man!

Nice rig! You will enjoy that card! I have another rig at home with that exact same card, and brand! Great performance! in Sli its amazing with resolutions!

To apply the thermal compound, I usually just put my finger(s) hand in a thin bag, to apply a thin layer to the CPU. The heatsink will come with thermal compound pre-applied, so if you use your own stuff, make sure you remove what comes on the heatsink.

i used latex/vinyl gloves
to keep the grease off of the pins

Yeah just ordinary gloves like these right?
latex-gloves.jpg

Nice rig! You will enjoy that card! I have another rig at home with that exact same card, and brand! Great performance! in Sli its amazing with resolutions!

Thank God I am getting good reviews on that card! Thought I was in trouble :D
I won't be using it in SLI as it doesn't seem my motherboard can support it (Not sure so please correct me if anything)

To apply the thermal compound, I usually just put my finger(s) hand in a thin bag, to apply a thin layer to the CPU. The heatsink will come with thermal compound pre-applied, so if you use your own stuff, make sure you remove what comes on the heatsink.
Yeah I'll probably just use the latex glove to apply it. For the heatsink you are supposed to peel that sticker off to reveal the compound right? But then how would I remove the compound, as I prefer using what I bought?
Is there a technique or something?

You can use rubbing alcohol, followed by water, or you could use this stuff. (a coffee filter works great for removing it).

That arctic silver thermal remover that I linked to works miracles. It completely dissolves even the wax pads found on P3s.

Back
Top Bottom