XP64 needs disk to boot

d_source

Daemon Poster
I installed XP64 on my system. Firstly, it wouldnt let me install until i freed up some space on my 120gb ide hdd, which i thought was very weird. It kept telling me that it needed to put some files on this hdd in order to install, so i had to repartition that drive to free up 2gb of space at the beginning of it...i thought that was weird, then i came to the conclusion that xp64 does not have driver support installed for SATA drives yet, therefore it needs to boot off the IDE hdd. Well thats what i figure. Anyone else know why that happened?
Also, if i want to use that OS, i need to place the CD in the drive. Then the pc automatically boots into xp64, if the cd is not in the drive, the pc boots to the regular xp pro. I thought i could make a dual boot, but i cannot. Anyone know why this was done this way? Some kind of protection by microsoft maybe?

Its entirely possible it hasn't had Driver Updates yet - normal XP sometimes has problems with Sata Drives anyway and this is purely a Beta.

Hmmm... well its not a protection. Have you tried checking the Boot.ini File? Because it should have been changed by the Install, could be another problem with it.

Nothing was changed in the boot.ini file, so i manually changed it. If i try logging on using the changed boot.ini file (without the cd in) then i get an error and the system reboots.

I have XP pro on my system, and i only had a 160GB SATA drive in there and i had no problems installing the OS. Weird that XP64 had problems. Its was just placed in there for testing anyways.

isnt xp64 a beta? betas are betas only because they have lots of problems. maybe it cant live w/ another ver of windows...

Well the X64 is in Beta release right now...you might as well wait till Longhorn comes out...

I know its beta, its not my main OS, i just wanted to try it to see how things have been improved. Just trying to get some extra info, from anyone who knows or has it installed.

Maybe its worth trying with Windows Server 2003 x64, your PC is up to it and it would give you a show of 64-bit Operating Systems. The XP x64 is a little dodgey I found when I installed it, it worked but I don't have any kind of unusual SATA System.

^^^What type of HDD do you have and if more than one (liek me) which did u run it on?
Is Windows Server 2003 x64 just a regular OS like XPpro?

Back
Top Bottom