XP will not recognize this USB2 Card Reader

dawziecat

Beta member
System is HP zd8320 laptop running XP SP2.

Trouble is with a device cosmetically identical to this zip compact flash card reader. Mine is actually the Thunderbolt model. No picture of that one but it seems identical.

I have successfully, and painlessly installed this device on two other XP systems, so it is not a problem with the device itself but rather with my system. Supposedly, no additional drivers are required in XP, and I loaded none on the other two XP systems that successfully recognized the reader.

When I insert the device, I get the audio signal that something has been connected. Likewise when I remove it. However, at no time is it shown in My Computer, a Windows Explorer window, or listed as a device when opening the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. Nor does it show in Disc Management using Admin Tools in Control Panel.

A screenshot of Device Manager listing is at:
http://danks.netfirms.com/captureUSB.jpg

Presently, there is an HP USB removable flash drive connected. Additionally, the machine has a built-in reader for SD, MS/Pro,MMC,SM and XD cards. That goes some of the way to explaining all those USB entries in Device Manager. The Device Manager listing does not change when the device is connected. It refreshes itself when the device is inserted/removed, but the listing remains as in the screenshot.

I routinely use several additional flash drives and removable USB HDDs with this machine with no problem. But this little card reader has me stumped.

Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom