xp installation problem

format again is the easiest, then do all updates behind a firewall. You could enable windows firewall if its all you have, but best bet is to update networked behind a protected computer.

LOLOLOL, yes those can cause that kind of problem. Although, MS Blaster Worm can do the same.

Powersupply can caus it because the system detects a lack of power and is forced to shut down as a precaution.

GPU can have bad drivers, so the same failsafe initiates to save computer from heat/bus overload. The GPU can overheat without proper drivers, or caus a corruption of XP.

I have had both happen to one of my really old PCs, and it was PS and GPU, so this does happen, but most likely it is a virus, mainly MSBLASTER.

You don't nessicarily have to format again.... Boot into safe mode with networking (if you haven't already tried that) and use Stinger to get it out. If you have tried that, then yes, I agree reformat, and get a good firewall up before you do anything. (in other words, use McAfee or ZoneAlarm, and NOT NORTON!!)
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

This should fix it.

In many years of tech work, not once have I seen the scenario you just described. I highly doubt that the vga card uses the rpc to shutdown...
haha
and no...those do not cause the problem he is describing

lol ok how do i boot into the networking crap ur talking about...

also, i have a router, will that be good for a firewall?

Well, the scenario does occur, sry to tell you. I have had it happen to me before man. You are probably right though. That is more for when you put in a new GPU, and PS isn't adequate enough, and PC shuts down after about 2-5mins of running.

So anyway, hit F8/F3/delete/F10 at very beginning of startup to access that menu. My Comp is F8, but it could be any of those buttons (not a combination though) Try F8 first, then F3, then delete, the F10. One will work, and if not (that would be very strange...) then ask here again. I will walk you through BIOS for that. Anyway, GL trying that. and remember, safe mode WITH NETWORKING!!

its f8 for safe mode, doesn't matter which computer your on. but you will just get the worm again if you don't do your updates behind a firewall. you could also have someone download sp2 and then you would be covered after installation.

AMD ZEN said:
Well, the scenario does occur, sry to tell you. I have had it happen to me before man. You are probably right though. That is more for when you put in a new GPU, and PS isn't adequate enough, and PC shuts down after about 2-5mins of running.

So anyway, hit F8/F3/delete/F10 at very beginning of startup to access that menu. My Comp is F8, but it could be any of those buttons (not a combination though) Try F8 first, then F3, then delete, the F10. One will work, and if not (that would be very strange...) then ask here again. I will walk you through BIOS for that. Anyway, GL trying that. and remember, safe mode WITH NETWORKING!!
sure...ok

I figured it was F8 for all, but some people swear it is a different key, but that difference I now remember is for accessing the BIOS, not startup options, LOL THX Shunx

hey shunx, you don't have to be a concieted ass about this, geez, trying to help people, not argue with you about how to do it. All the idea here are ligit, so pls stop insulting/argeing with me, THX.

I'm not insulting you, fact is if your not sure of the answer...don't just make some shit up. What if this poor guy had said ok, and went and purchased a new power supply or video card to get rid of his virus. Hey, I don't know everything either, so for the questions I don't know, I don't answer....plain and simple. But I do know the answer to his question, and your still telling me how it could still be this, or that. Sorry if I sound like a dick...but your wrong.

Back
Top Bottom