Xp Backup Cd

FIXUPSTUFF

Beta member
Hi all, I am in need of some advice and I thought this might be the place to get some answers. I just inherited a used computer with win xp installed and in the process of adding a hard drive, the hd with xp was formatted(read erased). There are a few files remaining and I can get it to boot to dos. I have another computer with xp installed. My question is, is there any way I can copy files from my operational pc to get xp reinstalled on the erased hd? Any input will be appreciated..and yes, I know the microsoft police would be knocking at my door in the morning if they knew where I lived....thanx in advance..

Well why don't you use the Windows CD's that came with your other pc to load onto the other hhd?

One way you can do this is to take out the hhd of the other comp./ put in the inherited hhd & make shure the jumper's in the back are set ot make it a master, then just pop in the Win xp CD, and bootup withit.

Or you could just call up microsoft & tell them you lost your CD's that came with your other comp. & they should be able to send you Replacements in the mail.

Then you will be able to use those Cd (s) to load win xp on the inherited comp. by doing a system restore using the CD's.

If all else fails, just get ahold of a program called NORTON GHOST, and you will be able to make a duplicate copy of the partition of your hhd & transfer it to your inherited hhd, so that you end up with two identical hhd's.

And to finish what I was writing. You can either copy the backup on CD's or plug in the hard disk in an transfer it. Then take the hard disk and put it back in the other computer. You will be prompted to record information on a diskette which you will use to restore your backup. If you have a DVD burner, you can burn the backup on one DVD disk, to then use it for the other system.

More details...

The inherited pc did not have any cd's, and the new pc does not have windows cd, only recovery cds that were burnt from hard drive(incompatible with inherited pc)....currently trying to find ntbackup.msi file on 3rd pc with xp pro installed. thanx, still trying....

Back
Top Bottom