XBOX 360 -or- PC!?

You guys don't understand. He will spend around $300 on the 360. Maybe another $100 for the wireless adapter and then $60 on each game. Over a short bit of time, that will add up to quite an amount. Shouldn't he just buy the computer parts a bit at a time? There are thousands of free games he can play on the internet. Everything from shooting to MMORPG's. In the end, it will be cheaper to get a PC. $500 will last him at least a good year or so. By that time he will have easily spent that amount getting games for the 360.

You guys don't understand. He will spend around $300 on the 360. Maybe another $100 for the wireless adapter and then $60 on each game. Over a short bit of time, that will add up to quite an amount. Shouldn't he just buy the computer parts a bit at a time? There are thousands of free games he can play on the internet. Everything from shooting to MMORPG's. In the end, it will be cheaper to get a PC. $500 will last him at least a good year or so. By that time he will have easily spent that amount getting games for the 360.

It'll last him at least a good year if not more, AND if he picks the right parts in the beginning it'll be a highly upgradable system! I say computer. Hands down. It's just way more versatile and worth the money. I mean heck, when he gets his parts, some graphics cards are bundled with a newer game that he could get enjoyment out of for a while...it's a win-win if you ask me.

You guys don't understand. He will spend around $300 on the 360. Maybe another $100 for the wireless adapter and then $60 on each game.

No, reading his first post, it seems like he can get a 360 now with his brother with the $130 he has right now. So he is kinda going half and half. He said if he had the money, he would say no to the 360 because he would have the money for his PC. But since he doesnt, his brother offered to get a 360 with him.
Why cant he connect via Ethernet? I didnt read anywhere where he says anything about wireless.
I have my 360 upstairs, yes its connected wireless, but I didnt pay $100 on the wireless adapter, instead, I set up a bridge to connect with my computer, which has an cheap wireless USB.
Not all 360 games are $60. Out of the 5 games I have, only 1 is $60. The rest is $30 and below.

Upgrading computer parts arent that cheap unless you can find someone to sell it to. I spent about $1500 last year, and now I only ended up with a $500 computer I have now. So I lost about $1000 just by upgrading parts.
The max he is willing to spend on the PC is $300, but he actually wants to spend less.
I know I wanted to spend less for a gaming computer when I was young, and have a hard time finding cash.

Im not against nor for getting the PC or the 360. Just making some points that might help the OP decide.

Upgrading computer parts arent that cheap unless you can find someone to sell it to. I spent about $1500 last year, and now I only ended up with a $500 computer I have now. So I lost about $1000 just by upgrading parts.
The max he is willing to spend on the PC is $300, but he actually wants to spend less.
I know I wanted to spend less for a gaming computer when I was young, and have a hard time finding cash.

When I upgrade my computers, my new parts go in mine...my old go in my parents and the ones that used to be in my parents go into storage until I have enough components to build a used system to sell...which I usually PROFIT from in the end. So it's not impossible.

When I upgrade my computers, my new parts go in mine...my old go in my parents and the ones that used to be in my parents go into storage until I have enough components to build a used system to sell...which I usually PROFIT from in the end. So it's not impossible.

HA! That's what I do.

HA! That's what I do.

Hey, I'm telling you...it's VERY economical...and my 'rents love it! :p

Usually I'll make them a deal that if they pay for my upgrades, whatever profit I make off the used system will be theirs or something similar to that.

Basically, the OP would benefit from a job to begin with though...

I selling my sister's computer for $500 and I'm giving her my Gateway. That's why I splurged on a new full tower Cosmos 1000 case. :)

It's really a win-win for me. Doing small computer repair and selling these builds, I make a little bit of money to buy stuff on an impulse. It's a great feeling. All I have to do is buy a new hard drive and the Gateway will be working.

Well, just because the 2 of you can do, doesnt me we all could, We all dont get the same opportunities, or have the money to do. Sometimes when we get enough parts to build an old one, its too old to even make any money, instead, we lose some money. You guys make it sound so easy, but if its so easy, then why arent every computer builder doing it?
Its not really a Win-Win for some. Look on the other sides point of view.

I know quite a lot of people that makes computer including myself. We asked each other why we dont sell custom made computers, and the reason that pops up the most is because we cant find anybody.

Well, just because the 2 of you can do, doesnt me we all could, We all dont get the same opportunities. You guys make it sound so easy, but if its so easy, then why arent every computer builder doing it?

I know quite a lot of people that makes computer including myself. We asked each other why we dont sell custom made computers, and the reason that pops up the most is because we cant find anybody.

More people are willing to buy a budget system... ~$450-550. I myself have a computer busines...I have a tax ID number and all of that. I have yet to sell a custom gaming computer to anyone--no one can afford them...especially now...and I don't even jack my prices up. Bascially I take all of the parts + 10% and that's what I charge...dirt cheap compared to other places.

On the other hand, more people are likely to get repairs and upgrades. I've probably had about 20 clients in the 6 months I've been in business. Now that doesn't seem like much, but I run the business out of my home and our town has a population of about 3,000. I don't advertise or anything. I have a website which half of my clients didn't know about...word of mouth is everything in this business. The most common things I get are virus removal and RAM upgrades. If you can make a business out of that, you are set.

BTW: I wasn't trying to harp on anyone for not having opportunities. I HAVE been blessed, but I'm very thankful for what I've got too. But on the other hand, I've earned it through extremely good grades (4.0+ GPA) and through having a job (which equals cash flow which any business needs).

More people are willing to buy a budget system... ~$450-550. I myself have a computer busines...I have a tax ID number and all of that. I have yet to sell a custom gaming computer to anyone--no one can afford them...especially now...and I don't even jack my prices up. Bascially I take all of the parts + 10% and that's what I charge...dirt cheap compared to other places.

On the other hand, more people are likely to get repairs and upgrades. I've probably had about 20 clients in the 6 months I've been in business. Now that doesn't seem like much, but I run the business out of my home and our town has a population of about 3,000. I don't advertise or anything. I have a website which half of my clients didn't know about...word of mouth is everything in this business. The most common things I get are virus removal and RAM upgrades. If you can make a business out of that, you are set.

BTW: I wasn't trying to harp on anyone for not having opportunities. I HAVE been blessed, but I'm very thankful for what I've got too. But on the other hand, I've earned it through extremely good grades (4.0+ GPA) and through having a job (which equals cash flow which any business needs).

Well, to me, it just sounds like you got lucky. Like I said, we arent all equal. Your gene pool is better than others, which gives you an advantage in life. No offense. Not trying to get you to dislike me or anything.
You have no idea how many PC shops open and close. Especially around here.

My friend sold his computer. AMD Athlon X2 5000+, 2GB OCZ DDR2, a decent motherboard, OCZ StealthXStream 500W, XFX 8800GT, 500GB HDD, with an 17" LCD monitor, all for $400, and people were trying to talk him down with Price. Took a while to sell it too.

Back
Top Bottom