X-Fi Problems

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
I've finally got my computer in a hardware setup that is practically flawless.. the last step was to replace my X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCi-express with a PCI card - I got an Xtreme Music card which is actually better and not much more expensive.

Anyway, it just about works perfect - except for 2 things.
Firstly, whenever I try to change my audio mode (X-Fi has 3 modes to choose from which changes the hard-ware levels to work effectively in that way) from Game Mode, I get the error: "This operation could not be carried out. This may be because the audio device is in use. Please quit all applications and games, and try again". I have closed everything before, including processes that I didn't think I needed running, and I still get the error. I'm likely to just want to stay on Entertainment Mode but first I have to get there!

Secondly, and although I'm sure this is a common issue, I always get the "Found New Hardware" dialog when I startup the computer for the Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. It cannot find the drivers, and I tried putting in my mobo disk to install them just in case. Everything seems to work fine without it, it's just a pain having it popup every time I restart. Even though you can tick not to have it come up again, it does anyway.

If you can help me out here, that would be great!
-Rhys

There's not really a creative page for it - i'm pretty sure this chipset was just sold to DELL for DELL computers, and I got it from a reseller.

Just google it, you'll find some info on it. Sorry!
-Rhys

Check in the BIOS, that any onboard sound chips that may be on your motherboard are switched off first.

That way, you won't get that last error anyway.

Thanks for that, Kage. Strangely enough, I fixed it by other means.
I simply re-installed the driver and software. Now, I hadn't restarted at that time since I had also disabled the high definition audio bus, and so I don't know whether it was the disabling or the reinstall of drivers that fixed the found new hardware problem.

But, it fixed the changing mode problem. Well... I think so. I set the initial mode to entertainment mode, which is what I wanted. But now I'm too scared to change it again :)

But thanks for your help!
-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom