WTF??? My Files and Folders have been Removed???

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I really hope that someone can help.

I recently copied all the files and folders from 2 smaller drives to a larger drive in preparation for using one of the smaller drives (8 Gig) for the OS.

All the files and folders were copied across correctly as I checked to see that they were all there. I then proceeded to delete the files and folders from the other 2 drives. (I did not copy short cuts to the folders as some of you may conclude).

I then defragged the drives. When I turned the computer on this morning all the Files and folders that I copied across were still on F:.

When I started the computer this afternoon they were gone! The strange thing is is that only the recently copied F & F's were gone and not those that had been there for some time! It is over 15 Gigs of info. How does this happen?? I did not delete them.

I am currently running Windows 98 SE so do not have the funtionality of XP to "roll back" any changes that may have been made.

As I understand it when windows deletes files and folders it cahnges an extension or something so that when something is written to the drive it copies over the "deleted" files. If I understand this correctly it means that all those files and folders should theoretically still be there. How do I retrieve them?

Ouch man :(

I have no idea what this means in terms of fixing it... but i do know it could be a faulty drive in some way... (Mines gone too...)

Kage

Well it's been awhile since i used Win98SE....

I would check to make shure the partition on the HHD is set to active....Some people load Windows on their hhd
but sometimes it isn't formatted correctly

Or the patition is not set to active, if it is not set to active, then all of a sudden the files & folder's cannot be detected anymore...

you can check the partition info Here

Back
Top Bottom