Would this make a good monitor?...

Nice, a little slow respose time for the latest but still an excellent buy!

What do you mean by a slow response time?

Also, I really don't know whether I should shell out the cash and use this as a monitor/TV/HD gaming or if I should shell out a bit less and get a really good 22" widescreen monitor.

Any suggestions?

Comments are really appreciated!

A good response time is like 4ms but 8 is fine you really won't notice a whole lot of difference getting one that is faster!

A good response time is like 4ms but 8 is fine you really won't notice a whole lot of difference getting one that is faster!

You should remember too that different manufacturers calculate the response times differently, and could be missleading.

Samsung make quality grear, but I'd recomend you look for reviews on computer websites. Custom PC magazine do loads of group tests now and again and post the articles on their website. I'm not sure of the website but I'm sure a quick google will bring them up.

This is a good site, cheaper than amazon, but I don't think they have that model though.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/73/cat/Monitors

Wikipedia said:
LCD monitors
Response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back to active (black) again. It is measured in milliseconds (ms). Lower numbers mean faster transitions and therefore fewer visible image artifacts.

Older monitors with long response times would create a smear or blur pattern around moving objects, making them unacceptable for moving video. High response times can be annoying to a viewer depending on the type of data being displayed and how rapidly the image is changing or moving. Many current LCDs' monitor models have improved to the point that this is rarely seen.

A figure of 8 to 16 ms for rise + fall times is typical. The response time was traditionally recorded at the full black > white transition which became the ISO standard for this specification on LCD displays. Grey transitions are far more common in practice but in terms of pixel latency, they remained significantly behind the ISO transition. In recent years there have been a wide range of Response Time Compensation (RTC) / overdrive technologies introduced which have allowed panel manufacturers to significantly reduce grey transitions. Response times are now commonly quoted in "G2G" figures and specs of 6ms, 4ms and 2ms G2G are widely available. There are various names used for RTC technologies, and these vary from one manufacturer to another. Terms such as ClearMotiv (Viewsonic), AMA (BenQ), MagicSpeed (Samsung) and ODC (LG.Philips) are widely used to identify RTC enabled displays.

In comparison, a CRT displaying a picture with an update frequency of 60 to 80 Hz could be said to have a response time of 12.5 ms and upwards. However, as the picture is updated completely (and virtually instantly) each time the electron beam passes over the screen, CRTs do not have the same problems with smearing or ghosting. The same is true for plasma displays (however, both CRTs and plasma displays can have problems with flicker).

LCD screens with a high response time value are often unsuitable to play fast paced computer games. The pixel response time is often confused with the LCD input lag which adds another form of latency to pictures displayed by LCD screens. An LCD screen with high response time and significant input lag will not give satisfactory results when playing fast paced computer games or performing fast high accuracy operations on the screen (e.g. CAD design). Manufacturers only state the response time of their displays and do not inform customers of the input lag value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_time#LCD_monitors

Response time isn't everything...8 ms is fine. One of my monitors has a 16ms response time, it's great.

It uses a VA panel, so it'll have a better quality than your 22" monitor with a 2ms response time that has a TN panel. It has good viewing angles too, so that's a major plus when you use it as a TV.

The contrast ratio is okay, nothing spectacular though.

Overall, it looks pretty good. The only drawback is the price, pretty high..

Back
Top Bottom