wont load windows

possibly, here is the drive that i am trying to use.

also i think the cable is messed up since when i remove the cable connection to the drive it gives the same error as when it is plugged in so maybe i have a faulty drive.

Okay so you are getting this error message when you try to to boot from your windows cd right? and you tried a different drive and cable. This is what i think.

1- Both drives and cables that you tested are faulty.
2- You aren't setting up your cables and jumpers correctly.
3- You didn't set something up in your bios correctly.
4- It could be your hard drive giving you the error message.
5- You have a bad windows disk.

Try to narrow those down and we will see where we get.

1- possible, but the other drive i used was working on another computer fine

2- well i have the ide cable plugged in, and the power cable. do i need any other cables?

3- very possible, but what?

4- let me test that out, but i dont have a clean hard drive to work with

5- i hope not...

thanks for all your help virtualdrone

1- okay so it is not that
2- no you don't need any other cables but you make have your jumper settings set wrong. Tell me where is the drive plugged in on the ide cable and do you have anything else plugged into the cable.
3- Hmm I am not really sure I haven't set up a computer for about 11 months now but I can look into it.
4- What does having a clean hard drive have to do with it? Just put it into a different computer and see if it works.
5- Well to test this boot from the cd on a different computer and if it works then theres something we can cross off the list and if it doesn't work you could always download a new copy.

Yeah np.

Is your Harddrive being shown in BIOS?

is your CD-ROm drive attempting to spin the XP CD.

TO see if the XP disk is readable, put it in another PC, see if it loads up

EDIT: sorry Raffaz, i didnt even see your post

yeah it can see both the hard drive and CD drive. Both the CD drive and the hard drive are spinning.

2 - the drive is plugged in on the first plug of the IDE cable and its the only thing plugged in to that cable besides the mother board
4 - misunderstood you, let me check it out...
5 - works fine

and i am a complete noobie so dont laugh too hard when you read this, what is a mobo?

A mobo is your motherboard mate
EDIT

Not sure if this has been asked, cant be bothered to go thru all the posts again. You say that ya CD and HDD are both seen in the BIOS. Is the HDD set to primary master and the CD set to secondary master

Back
Top Bottom