Wirless adapter/windows shut down...

eljajkeo

Beta member
just built a computer for my girlfriend and she has everything installed... windows xp professional, motherboard software, sound card software, video card software, and dvd software... then when she wants to install her wireless adapter, as soon as she plugs it into her USB port, the computer instantly shuts down and restarts... and as long as the adapter is plugged in the computer just restarts over and over again.. she followed the installation instructions perfectly... but as soon as she unplugs it the computer stops shutting down and works fine.... the adapter is the Netgear MA111 im pretty sure atleast

Same USB port or have you tried different ones? Have you tried to uninstall it? I would think you could still see it under safe mode...

different usb ports...tried some on the front some on the back... we uninstalled it and reinstalled it a few times now...every time.. same thing..

havent tried it in safe mode yet.. we shall see i guess.. would it still detect new hardware in safe mode?

I don't know if it would detect it seeing as I dont' beleive USB drivers are installed, but I remember with 98, all the drivers installed would show up, so you could make sure it was completely removed. But I guess you've already pretty much tried that by just uninstalling.

All I can think of is just manaully installing the drivers if you can. If you used some setup prog, just use the inf...

Um, sorry I can't be much more help...

yet another twist in the tale.. i had her start in safe mode and she plugged it in and it didnt restart..but the computer didnt even register that the adapter was plugged in... but she has her mouse plugged in the usb and it detected it..so the usb driver is there.. and last thing i was told her windows stopped loading all together!! this is great.. sounds like an all nighter to me

Back
Top Bottom