Wireless and Wired question.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, I have a wireless card and a cat5 going to my computer and they are both connected. How does this work? Which one is dominant?

I know I can just disable my wired, but I'm thinking that if my cable gets unplugged from the router (lots of brothers and friends) then my wireless will take over. Not sure if wireless is the one already taking over or not though.. I definatly want wired to be dominant. And I want wireless and wired to be instantly interchangable. Not go back and re enable wireless, this is due to online games ;) I'll get disconnected!

Just a thought...
Thanks!
-Q

More than likely you are using the wired connection. I think if your cable becomes unplugged though, it isn't going to just switch to your wireless, but I could be wrong. Either way you will have a few seconds where you will not have a connection.

I am not sure there is a way to be connected to both at the same time. I know that the wired connection takes priority on my laptop and switches to wireless if unplugged. I suggest you either get a longer cable if you want to stay connected through a hard line or start your game wireless if you know you are going to have to get up. These guys sell pretty long cables www.netcablesplus.com

Aaron

If you're wireless connection is good enough to be gaming on anyway, why not just use that?

On my laptop when you plug in a cat5 cable it takes over the connection. Then when you unplug it, the wireless takes over. I have a switch on the front to turn off the wireless though so it's easy.

I've never seen any solid proof to say that one is dominate over the other. My laptop has an option to automatically disable wireless when a cable is plugged in and reinable when it's not so I use that to make sure wired gets priority for me.

Did you try bridging the connections if I remember doesn't bridging the connections run both at the same time and if one becomes disabled it will use the other connection(with a delay of course)?

Back
Top Bottom