Wireless packs up when other USB device used

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hey n00bs,

I have a problem concerning a remote computer. The computer is connected to my wireless network via a wireless USB device. The computer is controlled via VNC connection. The computer hosts many files and when I want to quickly transfer them (not over wireless) I use an external hard disk. The hard drive plugs into another USB socket (front socket, haven't tried back), and I control it from another pc, to copy the files onto the external disk. When the external hard disk is removed, the wireless packs up, that is, I lose connection and cannot re-establish one until the computer is restarted. (I haven't tried taking out and putting back in the USB for the wireless after the wireless packs up, but that is not in a very accessible place)

Now I know the computer is still running because i wrote a program to log the computer's activity every minute, and that continues to run after the wireless has gone down, so why does the wireless pack up. I'm guessing maybe pulling out the USB does something to the USB port registration (haven't tried safely removed hardware though)

Thanks
Thomas

Will do next time i need it. It now works if I take also take out and replace the USB for the wireless so that's one workaround.

Back
Top Bottom