Wireless networking =)

Assuming your internet is not exceeding 54mbps, you should see similar speed. Distance will most likely affect performance. Ideally, hardwire is the best way to go.

The way you tell if two wireless components are compatible is by looking at the IEEE standard. So long they match you should be fine. I think it's best if you match the NIC with the router though.

Here is the breakdown:

Wired connections:
Cat5 has a max transmit rate of 100 Mbps (cheaper and more common and is supported by pretty much everything)

Cat5e/6 have max transmission rates of 1000 Mbps (Can only use this if your NIC and router support Gigabyte transfer speeds.)

Wireless:
802.11b works at a frequency of 2.4 Ghz and max transmit rate of 11 Mbps
***This is susceptible to EMI from microwaves, cordless phones, televisions, and other stuff.

802.11a works at a frequency of 5.0 Ghz and max transmit rate of 54 Mbps

802.11g works at a frequency of 2.4 Ghz and max transmit rate of 54 Mbps
***This is susceptible to EMI from microwaves, cordless phones, televisions, and other stuff. This is also compatible with 802.11b equipment because they work at the same frequency.

802.11n works at a frequency of 5 GHz and/or 2.4 GHz and max transmit rate of 600 Mbps.

##Now the way to read the wireless stuff is that the router and wireless NIC have to say they support the same type of protocols. ie 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n.

Gigabit cards are a waste unless you're doing some local networking. As far as the 802.11g, there are exceptions. I've seen some NICs are using that standard with rates higher than 54mbps.

Gigabit cards are a waste unless you're doing some local networking. As far as the 802.11g, there are exceptions. I've seen some NICs are using that standard with rates higher than 54mbps.

It is probably because they are equipped with some sort of speed booster.

Back
Top Bottom