Wireless N USB device ignored by Vista

setishock

Wizard of Wires
It's a Zoom wireless N usb dongle. Brand new fresh out of the box.
Here's what's going on.
I load the driver and utility off the CD then plug in the device. Vista pops up and says it's installing the driver from an internal folder. I assume the drivers I loaded off the CD.
I flip the switch on my built in wireless and disable it from the network and sharing center.
Next I right click on the new device icon and select enable. The little window pops up saying enabled. BUT On the device icon it still says disabled. I can call up the utility and run through the settings but nothing is working.
I'm thinking there is another setting somewhere in Vista I'm over looking. The WLAN service is set for automatic and is started.
This is the second device, different brand name, that is doing the same thing. I'm fresh out of ideas. Thoughts?

Have you tried a different machine with this particular adapter?

Attempt to download a new driver, I am guessing this is the right adapter.
Zoom Telephonics: Zoom Wireless-N USB Adapter

Already tried that. No joy there either.

Check this
Safely Remove the hardware from taskbar
i hope it will not be removed and give an error. Do this again, and then check. i hope this will solve the problem.
Or Contact here.. they have a special page for software installation and networking etc
MyTechDr.COM | Computer Support and Maintenance

Was that a shameless plug or what? Why in the world would I pay someone $99.00 to get this going? The device is only worth 20 dollars and was given to me to play around with.

Here are some resources.

Method 1
I would suggest that you temporary disable the security software on the computer and check if the issue persists.
Disable antivirus software
Disable antivirus software

Method 2
If the above step fails then run the fixit tool available in the below Microsoft article and check if it works.
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Method 3
If the above step fails then I would suggest that you completely uninstall the wireless network adapter from the computer and later reinstall the latest updated driver for the adapter, check if it helps.
a) Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, then type ‘Device Manager' without quotes in the search box.*
b) If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
c) Look for the problem device; right click on it and select Uninstall.
d) Place a check mark for "delete driver software for this device" when prompted.
e) Restart the computer.
f) Driver entries will be removed completely.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

This is from a previous entry in a Microsoft Forum, you are not the only one with the issue.

wireless adapter disables itself in Vista, can't re-enable - Networking, Internet, Wireless Forum - Networking, Internet, Wireless - Dell Community
Wireless adapter will not enable. - Vista Forums

See if anything in those forums can help you. If not, I would go with a different adapter.

Back
Top Bottom