Wireless connection problem

Jmonty580

Baseband Member
About a month ago I got my laptop and got lynksys so that I could go online wireless (my laptop comes with a wireless card). I set up everything and life was good, I was in internet heaven.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my operating system to xp professional, which I did successfully. but now I cant go wirless. I've tried everything, even putting in the disc in my laptop but for some reason my laptop wont read the lynksys signal. Right now I got the wire hooked up directly to my computer so that i can get internet access, but I still want wireless. Any ideas as to what my problem is?

I cant set it up on the desktop computer because if you remember me from before, my desktop is dead. But I still had wireless internet before. Now I guess I cant set up a wireless network because I only have one computer. Can I go wirless with just one computer using lynksys?

You should.

my suggestion would be to go check out some help at microsofts site.

Just make sure you are obtaining your ip addresss and that it isnt static.

It sounds like a driver problem to me. I have Windows XP Home on my laptop and my wife's laptop is using Windows XP Pro and they both work wonderfully with my Linksys Wireless Router. If fact if we go outside or if I using the computer in the car I will sometimes get other signals and instantly get contected to the internet.

Make sure that Windows actually knows that you have the proper driver for your wireless adapter. If it is built in, then check out your laptop's manufacturer for a driver that will work for Windows XP Pro.

Make sure you have all of the Windows updates. I think Sp2 does alot to help with wireless connections.

So I would need to check out the Lynksys drivers?

I got so pissed that i went out and bought an 80 dollar hard drive for my desktop (I thought that was the problem), turns out that the CD player isnt working, so I installed the Hard drive but i Cant install the Operating system. I guess Im gonna have to get a cd player now.

Now I got it working all of a sudden. I went to the signal bar icon on the tray next to the clock, right clicked it and hit open utilities. When I hit refresh Linksys pops up. Then I checked off let this tool manage your wirless settings, and then I hit apply and I was back on the internet. Today I went to get on the Internet and I couldnt get on again. I checked out the signal bars settings again and this time instead of saying linksys, it said Girlz. I took that off and was able to get Linksys back again, but what was that? Did someone highjack my system?

No, someone didn't hickjack your system.

You must have wakled by or you are able to pick up your neighbors routers.

Also, in the icon is an order feature. Make sure your Linksys is the first on the list.

Back
Top Bottom