Wired Vs Wireless networks

Raveboy

Baseband Member
I was thinking about setting up a network of home computers and was trying to decide which was better wired or wireless.

The computers will be in the sameroom except maybe 1. I was planning on networking up four computers.

I have Virgin Media broadband formerly NTL.

I was a bit apprenhisve about wireless because of the health and safty issues of radio waves spinning around my head.

Also which one would be the cheapest and most reliable or practical?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have a laptop that you like to carry around, wireless is the way to go.
if your computer is stationary, go with wired.
i have a wireless router (linksys wrt54g). for my mom/dads laptop, they use wireless so they can go around the house or watch tv while in the kitchen. for my desktop i use wired because its faster and its...easier.

if i were u i would get a wireless router with a 4-port switch on the back like mine.

drumthrasher said:
if i were u i would get a wireless router with a 4-port switch on the back like mine.

What about all the radio waves lurking around the room and messing up my head?

In retrospect, I think I will opt for wired because they are in same room.

How can I get info on setting up networked computers?

Will having different operating systems on each computer be a problem?

If I was wanting to have multiple computers for internet accessing on th network what is the best and cheapest antivirus and internet secuirty software to apply to all the computers. i currently have Symnatec Internet secuirty but that is just for one computer. Which are best free software available too?

maybe. i'd rather have the same os on every pc. (vista all the way baby ;))
i actually like ad-aware. just install that and do an auto scan at a given time.
or an anti-virus. i don't use anti-virus apps, but i heard AVG was pretty good, or u can give windows defender a try if u will be using windows.

Well with the amount of people using wireless these days, I don't think you'll be rushed to hospital in the near future, it's the same as using a mobile phone..

Anti-Virus....there are a few solutions, I use and suggest Avast!, it's free and it's great...as for a firewall, I hear the free ZoneAlarm is great and safe.

It would be easier and less hassle having the same OS and sharing an internet connection is quite simple with XP and Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

There is some information, although I didn't get a chance to read it it looked pretty in depth

Matt

For someone who is gonna start their own business with decent computer support, your questions are really basic. How the hell you gonna support your usurs with knowledge like yours?

Raffaz said:
For someone who is gonna start their own business with decent computer support, your questions are really basic. How the hell you gonna support your usurs with knowledge like yours?

who was that to? ... have i missed something. the thread first of all talks about wireless vs wired. then the guy moves onto antivirus and stuff. then this pops up ^

dude_se said:
who was that to? ... have i missed something. the thread first of all talks about wireless vs wired. then the guy moves onto antivirus and stuff. then this pops up ^
Its aimed at raveboy, he was on about starting up a business last night (the post will be here somewhere) He was on about building hi spec computers and selling them on etc, and yet he doesnt know the basics like this. Would you buy a computer from him ? :)

ohhh i see. lol. i dont think i would buy a pc off him, unless i was a proper n00b and didnt have a clue/its cheap.

Back
Top Bottom