Windows XP Not Recognizing SATA Drive

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone,

Just got back from a yardsale with three 80GB SATA drives ($20 each)! and obviously I was suspect as to whether or not they were good, so I did a disk check on each one and they're all clean! :)

So, I plug them all in (my intent is to use them as storage drives, since i already have a 200GB SATA drive as my System Drive). I have four SATA slots so it fit perfectly. It boots up, says it found new hardware, I go into disk management, and delete/reformat the disks.

But only two show up! So I finish reformatting the others and giving them names/drive letters, and they work fine for storage. Then I rebooted and went into BIOS and saw that four hard drives were definitely listed, so this third storage one that I bought wasn't being recognized in XP for some reason.

So I rebooted again just to check, and still nothing in disk management. I did some research and found that it was formatted with a Linux Reiserfs partition, so I booted into GParted LiveCD and formatted it as NTFS, removing all other previous partitions.

Booted back into XP, and still nothing even shown in Disk Management!

I'm stumped...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Try going to the HDD manufacturers website, and get their diagnostic tools, then do a low level format, to completely wipe it. Then install it again. Also make sure its ok in device manager.

Back
Top Bottom