windows xp 64 bit edition

northwings

Baseband Member
I have a computer with a 3.2 64 bit pentium 4, and an asus motherboard, will I be able to upgrade to windows xp 64 bit edition ? and should I ?

Yeh I know, but there's nothing on my computer yet Lol, so I can apply to upgrade to 64, but should i ?

I have Win XP x64 on one of my computers because it was my choice, I cannot tell you whether to or not. You have to make choices yourself. Read the article, and see if this is the way you want to go...

Well is it even wort it if I only have 2 gigs of ram, isn't the reason for upgrading is to support more ram ?

No, running 64Bit code will be more efficent and offer a number of other advantages, not just allow for more RAM.

northwings said:
Well is it even wort it if I only have 2 gigs of ram, isn't the reason for upgrading is to support more ram ?
If you only have two gigs of ram, and your mobo supports more, put it in till you have reached the boards capacity.

Wombat said:

If you only have two gigs of ram, and your mobo supports more, put it in till you have reached the boards capacity.

It's useless to have such big increments of memory

lhuser said:
It's useless to have such big increments of memory
You use Win XP x64 do you, I think not...

Digital content creators, including 3-D animators, digital artists, and game developers will also welcome the large amounts of memory and performance improvements that make their 64-bit applications run faster and more efficiently.

In response to your second question, unless you work with data intensive programs like what Wombat is saying reagarding 3-d animation or other desinging software (ie autocad, video rendering, etc), X64 can be skipped for now. You should be investing in 64 bit hardware though. Wait for Longhorn to come out in 06.

Back
Top Bottom