windows won't boot and blue screen

zalek

Beta member
Desperatly trying to find advice.
I had a new motherboard arriving today (after my old one died while my gf tried to push a sound card in while the computer was on).

I have connected everything nicely and all I get is that few seconds after Windows starts to boot it restarts (on few occassions I did get to see the windows logo for half a sec). While trying different tricks with booting from CD (standard win xp CD) I'm even getting blue screens. So I cannot even install a new OS!

Now, I have stripped the system down (graphic card and HDD left only) and started to boot from CD with just one HDD connected at a time (3 in total I have). When going into recovery and running chkdsk command, sooner or later I'm getting blue screen (that's to say I can run chkdsk few times with results saying no problems and then at some point the blue screen appears). This situation repeats for every HDD I have.

I had by now checked HDDs on another PC and they are all fine. From the old system I kept CPU (AMD XP 2000+), RAM (2 - one 256 MB and one 1GB - tried all the combination, running each one separately and so on but the same problems persisted) and obviously PSU. Would anyone know if those kind of things that happen with my computer could be likely to damaged any of those components and whether the symptoms my PC has could possibly be traced to be most likely any of the old components? I hope to check RAM later tomorrow but access to another PC is not easy.

Hmmm.... Not sure... But yes, it COULD be that some of your components are to old or aren't compadible with each other... My only recomendation to you though is to keep your computer away from your GF......

They were compatibile with each other on the old motherboard and there is nothing new added apart from new motherboard. The BIOS does detect all HDDs, the RAM and CPU.

can you list the parts you have, sound card, hhd, ram, mobo, cpu, psu, graphics card, etc...

Have you tried repairing your XP installation? If you can't get that running maybe try booting a linux live cd to see if the computer can still even run properly.

Back
Top Bottom