Windows vista and XP on single system...possible

maass

Beta member
Hi all,
i am new to this forum.
recently i have taken Dell Studio Laptop.
it has Windows vista installed on it and has two partitions.
Is it good to have Vista as well Xp on single system (diiferent partitions)
if not ...but all my usage softwares are in XP version so i need to have XP at any cost.
how to partition the Vista and without installing and one more doubt.

there is a disk drive/partition with Recovery as its name and of 5 GB.
what is the use of it.

thanks

Yes, you can. Its call Dual Boot, and many PC users does it.
But you would have to reformat your Hard Drive. You could go ahead and deleter the recovery drive if you wanted to. But the recovery drive contains all the files needed after an reinstall of windows. IE Drivers. But If you know where to get them, then you can delete the recovery if you want.

Just make sure you can find XP drivers for your laptop, or it wont fully work, or it will look funny.

Yep, dual booting is possible. You have to have the OS's installed on 2 separate partitions on your hard drive though.

I've seen it to where you can install Win in s separate folder, allowing dual boot on the same drive. Win 2000 and XP, Win 2000 Server and Win NT. You just have to specify the folder you want to install XP into during installation. It may be a little harder, I'm not sure since I haven't played with Vista much, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.

no. no its not. if you do that, Microsoft will destroy your computer. Their entire IT department will rappel down from black hawks onto your roof in the middle of the night, on Christmas eve with M4A1s, desert eagles and flash bang grenades.

Their gonna rip open a hole in your roof with an rpg.

You're gonna be like "what the f? who the hell is in my kitchen"

Right when you turn the corner.....

BAM. Head shot.

You JUST GOT DEAGLED IN THE FACE !

Yea....their hard core.

I've seen it to where you can install Win in s separate folder, allowing dual boot on the same drive. Win 2000 and XP, Win 2000 Server and Win NT. You just have to specify the folder you want to install XP into during installation. It may be a little harder, I'm not sure since I haven't played with Vista much, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.

You'll that was possible with the older 9x-ME Fat based versions rather then NT based there. Dual booting with 98/95 on the exact same partiion would see 98 installed last in the Window98 folder or other alteration since 95 would be in Windows. When 98 started you had the option to boot into 95.

With the newer NT cored versions you would edit the boot loader as well as copy boot files over from one primary to that of the newer version not see both installed on same there. The newer version's installer would replace the Documents as well as Program Files directories automatically as well as all user account info.

The smart move for seeing a working dual boot there would be seeing Vista installed to a second primary leaving the 5gb recovery partition intact unless planning to burn a set of recovery disks from that first! If left checked off the Vista installer will automatically reformat the intended partition selected.

Back
Top Bottom