windows "Super Hidden Files", what gives

dzjunction

Solid State Member
i just discovered XP super hidden files.....

out comes a hidden RECYCLER folder on my c: containing 5.6 gigs of who knows what...

it doesn't look like it will let me delete it and i have no idea what these files that are in this folder are or where they came from.

1) why can't i delete them?
2) why is there something there in the first place?
3) how can i delete it?

i think these super hidden files are for recovering, but i understand that a lot of stuff gets left behind and are useless, like temp internet files/records etc....

can anyone shed more light on how i can get my 5 gigs back from xp?

thanks!

To view the files:

1. Start Explorer
2. From the Tools menu select 'Folder Options'
3. Select the 'View' tab
4. Unselect the 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)' box

As you can see, they are "protected OS files" that you really don't want to remove.

But if you really want to, you cannot do it via the OS you are using. Try the recovery console or Linux. But really, if you have no reason other than freeing up some space, I would not do this.

More info:
http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/12811.html

CAUTION!!! If you delete these files, you might cripple the OS. I would defnitely leave these files alone unless you are finding a creative way to need to rebuild your workstation.

yeah, but 5 gigs worth of crap in a folder named RECYLER? somehow i think it a little strange that xp should eat up more memory than the OS itself in the RECYLER......

somethings gotta give....

Back
Top Bottom