"Windows can't format the drive" error while formatting the external disk.

imakshar

Beta member
Help Please,
I have a brandnew external harddrive and i made 3 partitions. Laterone while I was formatting each of them, first 2 formatted fine but the last one gave me error saying "Windows can't formate the partition" and so now each time I plug in my external USB drive, I can;t access that partition. I tried using the partition magic program to delete all the partitions and format the entire drive but it could not format it either. I tried running through the DOS prompt but it would not let me go to that partition drive. I need you help .. can somebody help me out formatting the drive. I don;t have any data on it so I can wipe out the entire external disk.

Please help me.

thanks,
CK.

Re: "Windows can't format the drive" error while formatting the external disk.

before anyone can help you need 2 tell us what OS you have....

got it working

I am running XP Prof. edition. But now I got it working. I took the harddrive off the external box and installed in my PC and from there it was able to format it. I don't know why would it not format as USB external drive.

thanks,

Re: got it working

imakshar said:
I am running XP Prof. edition. But now I got it working. I took the harddrive off the external box and installed in my PC and from there it was able to format it. I don't know why would it not format as USB external drive.

thanks,

The drive usually will not format via a USB drive, reason being, DOS does not support USB drives without an OS controlling the harddrive.

This should soon change in my eyes in the near future, as USB exernal drive become, not onl cheaper, but more popular.

I recommend you get a fireware connection for your USB external HD, this will improve speeds a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom