Windows can't check for updates.PLEASE HELP

minxer

Solid State Member
Hi. When i start my pc, the windows update icon pops up with the following message: 'Windows can't check for updates'. When i open windows update and click 'install', it says it's failed, with the error code 80072EFD. I get another error code:80240016 'currently installing other updates, try again later'. Windows Defender can't check for updates either and when i opened Malwarebytes to do a scan, i couldn't update that! A work colleague said to crash pc and reinstall all security software and start again but i don't know how to do that (not very computer savvy!) Ran a Spybot S&D scan (no problem updating) because i thought i might be infected but that only found a few tracking cookies. Please help me before i throw my laptop out of the window!!!! :confused:

Hi. I had to put my pc into 'safe mode' before performing 'system restore'. When i continued, it said it was 'initializing' and then 'restoring registry' and then shutdown and restarted. Is this right? There was nothing on the screen to tell me 'system restore' was completed/successful. Still unable to check for updates. Also when restarted, system configuration is saying "to start windows normally select 'normal start-up' as i am in 'diagnostic' or 'selective start-up' but when i select 'normal', all the icons are enlarged (as if in safe mode) but i unchecked the safe boot box after the system restore. Should it be 'normal start up' and if so how do i get it back to how it was before? :confused:

I had Outpost Firewall (free) and i thought this might be responsible so i've uninstalled it but it hasn't made any difference. Looked on other forums and this seems to be a common problem. It's driving me mad!!!

Back
Top Bottom