Windows 7 64 bit or 32?

teamo1

Baseband Member
AMD X2 4200. Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe. 7600 GT video card. I am taking my MB, processor, ram, and gpu and scavenging the parts to build a new system for the kids. Currently running XP 32 bit with no problems. I once tried to upgrade to vista 64 bit but I had trouble with some drivers. I think that the main problem was the network bus enumerator drivers. I tried to get updated drivers from nvidia to fix the problem but it never worked out, so I went back to xp. Now I am building a new system for myself as well as reformatting this computer and I am going to purchase Windows 7. For my new computer I will use Win 7 64. Should I also get Win 7 64 for the older computer or am I likely going to have the same problems? Would getting Win 7 32 bit solve those earlier issues with the drivers? I built the computer a few years back and from what I remember the Athlon was supposed to be 64 bit/vista ready. Thanks.

I have windows 7 64bit and ive had no problems. I dont know whether vista has this, but windows 7 has something called compatability mode, with this ive had no problem with anything, IF something wouldnt run properly, such as 3ds max 9, I made the program run in compatibility mode. I would also definately get 64bit over 32bit, because with 32bit your limited to only 4gb of ram, and if you ever want to go higher then that you would have to install windows 64bit.

On the windows 7 website there is a section where you can type in programs, and it will tell you if they are compatable with windows 7. It even tells you if they are compatable for 64bit or 32bit, instead of it just saying its compatable with windows 7.

Compatibility mode has been around since XP.

Either way, driver and program support is much better in 7 x64 than it ever was in vista. Since you only have 2gigs now it's really your call, but I'd recommend getting the 64-bit to future proof yourself.

If you have a 64 bit cpu then I would get Win 7 64 bit. You can run 32 bit with a 64 bit cpu but you can't run a 64 bit software with a 32 bit only cpu.

Also going to chime in here, I have a system older than this running Windows 7 just fine, and it's plenty speedy and every driver it ever needed was either included with Windows already, or the updates were easy to find. Microsoft has made a big push to make sure that Windows 7 doesn't have the same growing pains that Vista x64 had.

Back
Top Bottom