Windows 2000 Bootup problems - reinstall?

ray1022

Beta member
Hello:

I have a laptop with Windows 2000 and get the following error message when I bootup:

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I wish to recover the data (files) from the hard drive. When I try reinstalling windows, i get the following message:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. Use the up and down arrows to select an item on this list:

-to set up Windows 2000 on the selected items, press enter
-to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
-to delete the selected partition, press D

19078 MB disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi
C: NTFS 19072 MB (7756 MB free)

I am unsure which option to choose. I want to keep the existing data on the hard drive and not erase it. Will one of the 3 options above be able to fix my bottup problem, while still keeping the existing data?

Thanks.

Your registry might be messed up. Before reformatting, try doing a repair. Check HERE for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

(It's a common problem, and you would be better off repairing than just reformatting). Just make sure you follow the directions in that link carefully.

To answer your question though, neither of those options will save your data. You only have one partition and it's corrupted, the best thing you can do is to try what I said above.

You could press F2 when it asks you to in the very first blue screen you see. it will enter a consiole-like mode that can help you fix manually.

I would say to use the following command first.

Code:
fixboot

Back
Top Bottom