will this work??

ya u can sli or crossfire
just need the drivers
id get 4g ram before id sli tho

Depending on what graphics cards you are using, anything less might bottleneck them... 2 gb would be fine, for say, the 1900 XT, but if you wanted to SLI nVidia 8800s you would need a lot of RAM, and a good processor (which you have)

Get 2 more gig of ram, and then you should be fine. Also, i would suggest finding a non open box version of that mobo..

i already have the mobo, i bought it new.

so with 2 extra gb os ram, 2 8800gt's, a new small hdd and vista for the new vista exclusive games(i will dual boot with my current xp pro so i can still play all my old games without having to worry about driver issues for older games). that adds up to about $800.

oh yeah this is mainly a gaming rig, but i also love to mess with OSs and i have no experience with vista yet so there is another bonus.

anything to add my computer savvy friends?

Not much to add, except for a good luck!

I hope this rig works out for you.

Also, if you want to use separate hard drive for your OS's, I would suggest about a 30 gig or higher for Vista. It only requires about 15 gig, but the extra space will help it run better, and will also give you extra storage should you ever need it. :)

DONT sli 8800gt's! get a SINGLE 8800GTX, 2 cards for the same price, will beat 1 card hands DOWN!

if i read that correctly then i should go with sli. anyway, i'm done my research, 8800gt's are not as good as the gtx but they are the next step down, and 2 would deffinatly beat a gtx. also, they are not the same price, the two gt's will run my almost $700 while a gtx is only about $600.

google "sli 8800gt's vs. 8800gtx"

many forums posts and benchmarks, also using the new unofficial stress test "Crysis".

if that weren't enough, i've never done a SLi setup, it will be a learning experience.

oh and also i picked out a nice 80GB hdd for vista on newegg for about $45. combine that with my 320GB that has xp pro on it and i will never use all that space.

many forums posts and benchmarks, also using the new unofficial stress test "Crysis".
that proves why what you said\as well as other have said is GARBAGE.

1. LOL, crysis is a game not a stress test!!! its one of the biggest realeses of the year, and the most graphic intense game.

2. only certain games support SLi, so in some games you wont even be able to use SLi technology

3. wait for offacial benchmarks, anybody can post anything on forums, those numbers could be made up

4. at least wait for this guy, it has DX10.1, GDDR4, and will be coming on nov. 15
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/amd_hd_3800_to_support_dx_10/
un

Toms Hardware said:
RV670 should take less silicon per wafer to produce than Nvidia's 8800GT meaning higher margins per part
that means it will be close\cheaper in price than the 8800GT

first of all, trying to convince me to listen to you while at the same time telling me that forums provided garbage responses is more than a little silly.

second, i know crysis is a game, but a standard has been created that only the highest quality machines can run it, and the number of frames per second in that game is high on the list of things to look at when buying a new gaming card.

third, yes only certain games support sli but almost all modern games will, and those that don't can be played just fine using only 1 card.

fourth, my graphs and numbers, and all around praise for the 8800gt come from very reputable sources like tomshardware.com(which i believe you also referenced) and anandtech.com.

lastly, buying a dx10.1 card that can support up to 4 way crossfire it along the lines of buying a quad core for a gaming rig. that extra power is nice but will not improve no gaming programs due to the fact that barely any programs support dual core as of yet. not only that but i have a very health fear of new and untested technology, and given that problems with dx10 drivers, i don't really wanna fool around with dx10.1 yet.

I can see by your sig that you have already made up your mind about sli/crossfire, and that yoou would not make the decision i have, but please, make your case without calling everything i have said "GARBAGE."

Back
Top Bottom