will this PSU power this 8800GT?

Joe33345

Solid State Member
ok before you answer... check this on the PSU Calculator and see what I see. I may just squeak by but if I don't make it I have a 450w i can swap from another PC. thats a last resort I have a 380w right now

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 overclocked to 2.3ghz CPU Stock Fan
2GB DDR400 RAM overclocked to 230mhz (would make it DDR466 I guess then XD)
eVGA e-geforce 8800GT Superclocked - now this is the thing. this video card according to evga's website which i trust says 350w minimum on this card with 22A 12v rail, I have 380w with 29A 12v rail.

IDE 7200 HD Secondary
SATA HD Primary

1 92mm Fan shooting air out the back. nice and cool :)

now... according to the power supply calculator I am in the green with the video card. NOW I DONT HAVE THE EVGA GEFORCE 8800GT YET. I get it monday but I want to make sure that I'm okay here. I know it's very close I just want opinions on what people think. and yes I did take into account my keyboard and mouse, its 1 USB wireless port and my xbox 360 controller for another USB port.

comes out as 307w if I remember on the calculator. thank you for listening and helping me out :)

what model is it? if it came with your case than scrap it, it wont have close to enough amperage. you might get by on the wattage but youll probably end up killing your PSU if it doesnt have at least 26 amps, ive killed 2 40amp peice of shit PSU's with my 8800GTS

lol I said above at the video card that I have 29Amps. you answered my question though :p. any other thoughts from people?

EDIT: also to answer your question this was a custom PSU from like a year ago. Antec brand

ermmm its still cutting it close. after a year a PSU looses its peak power, i would just do the right thing and protect your investment with a good soild PSU. you could end up ruining your whole machine if something bad happens

ok thx for your opinion :). I'll just swap this out with a 450w from another PC I own

actually... i added in capacitor aging into the equation on the PSU calculator and it came out to 333w total. that would put me under by 47 watts but I have taken great care of this system so I think it will make it :). I cleaned this system basically every 2 weeks :p. thx for all of your help :D

Back
Top Bottom