Will a Gainward 7800GS+ AGP fit onto an Abit NF7-S V2.0 Motherboard

s162217

Baseband Member
Hi,

My beloved Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe has just died practically for unknown reasons and I need to get another motherboard.

I am thinking of getting an Abit NF7-S V2.0 but when I looked at where the graphics cards mounts, I noticed that theres a choke and some capacitors below the AGP slot

Abit-NF7s-Zalmanized.jpg

I use a rare 1 of 1000 gainward 7800gs+ as my GPU, but it uses two slots because of the cooling and I am worried that the capacitors and the choke may interfere with it.

gainward_front_large.jpg

Do you think it will fit as I don't want to buy the board and find it doesn't fit.

Hmm, I can't tell if the capacitors rise above the AGP slot. Have you ever considered upgrading your whole system?

Hmm, I can't tell if the capacitors rise above the AGP slot. Have you ever considered upgrading your whole system?

Simple answer: money or lack of it. I'm going to university in about 9 months so I really need to save cash.

I can't tell if they rise above it either but I think they do. Theres a couple of mm's space until the cooling system and those capacitors can't be much more than that taller.

I found an almost side on picture of the board around the AGP slot.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/thornogson/eBay%20items/?action=view&current=AbitNF7-Sv20MotherboardNo29015c.jpg

If you angle your screen so the board looks as if its flat along the ground you can see that the capacitors don't get any taller than the neighbouring PCI slot, if I remember, PCI slots are only slightly taller than AGP ones so I see no reason why it would not fit.

I think you'll be fine since the cooler sits a little bit higher than the slot.

It surely must fit in if these guys can put this hugh watercooling block on their single PCB GPU. Essentially I am doing the same just with an integrated air cooler.

pic.php

I am going to get the board. It uses the same chipset (Nforce2 Ultra 400) so I shouldn't have any problems just putting it in place of the old board should I? All from what I can see is different is the LAN contoller which I can uninstall before I remove the board.

EDIT: Actually I think I will uninstall all the nvidia drivers except for the VGA driver as I have been having some problems with the old board with Nvidia stuff not installing and I am having problems with the IDE controller which crashes the system

Yes, that will fit just fine. I had an Abit NF7-S running an 6800GT with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer which is nearly identical to the cooler on that video card.

Well you'll some big-ass fans on that board now then won't ya?? ;) :cool:

Back
Top Bottom