Beta member
Recently upgraded my computer:

Athlon 3800+ X2
Asus A8N SLI deluxe mobo
EVGA GEforce 6800 GS
1 GB Corsair Ram
120 GB hard drive
Antec 550 Watt PSU

In games like HL2, my game will run choppy for about 2-6 minutes upon startup ( maybe like 8 fps), after that time is up, the FPS increases to where it should be ( around 80-90). In Red Orchestra (running off of the Unreal 2.5 engine), I get a constant 15-30 FPS, which is VERY low for my hardware settings. At first I thought it was an issue of my GPU not getting enough power, so I upgraded my power supply, and im still getting the same problem. I have the latest drivers, so I have no idea why this is happening. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion seems to run where it should for my hardware settings, with the exception of FPS lag for about 5-10 seconds at startup, but that's normal.

I dont know how the unreal 2.5 engine lags my computer more than Oblivion does...anyone have any ideas? Perhaps i have outdated system bios? or maybe it's an IRQ conflict?

any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Thanks so much for the reply, man. I appreciate it.

yes. I am using the Nforce audio from the motherboard...Should I try installing a sound card?

i get FPS problems in cs 1.6 and... my rig is like exactly like yours.. try this before you open up the game...turn on steam and open up windows task manager. go to the processes tab and find steam. right click on it.. and set affinity.. you'll see a window with cpu 0 and cpu 1 with checks next to em.. uncheck cpu1 and then try playing...that raises my cs 1.6 fps from 9 to 100 constant..you have to do this everytime though.. it's a hassel but whatever.. it takes what? 5 seconds? no.. i don't see how that would make sense that it's integrated audio since elder scrolls apparently works fine on your computer.

Also those onboard sound takes alittle cpu power.. becuase i have celeron D with 256KB when im at 100% load the music stops becuase it needs almost about 1% of the cpu to work... with new cpus like with dual core.. the onboard sound card should take like 0.2% of the cpu. My try updating video card drivers, than mobo drivers

The onboard audio would not tax your system that badly. I use onboard and HL2 runs way better than that. Dual core has a weird effect on cs1.6.. but i've never seen it have issues with HL2 based games...

Back
Top Bottom