When not using the computer over night...

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
Is it better to turn off the computer when you go to sleep? Does it even matter whether it's on or off?

Thanks.

It won't hurt leaving it on. Your probably wearing it out even more by turning it off and on, but either way you will be fine, my friend has a really old Pentium III machine that's on all day and shut off at night, almost every day, and it still runs.

PCNoob said:
Is it better to turn off the computer when you go to sleep? Does it even matter whether it's on or off?

Thanks.

Turning it off will save a considerable amount of power, which helps your wallet, as well as being a friend of the enviroment.

I leave mine on all day and shut it off almost everynight, and shutting it off clears the memory and Cache so windows wont slow down.

pinky shutting down windows overnight wont nessicarially show a noticeable improvment, unless restarting soon after.

cabb shutting down the pc every night will most likely keep it running longer actually. Turning the computer on and off wont lower the life unless done over and over or done improperly. technically the computer will last longer if shut down for the night because you will be saving estimated lifetime hours of the parts.

also as dj-chris mentioned your saving energy and money.

shutting it down is better.. as most people have said.. but leaving it on doesn't really hurt either.. i guess.. if you're downloading something or folding, you can leave the computer on, if it's just idling by on the desktop, take the time to turn it off and restart it in the morning/afternoon.

I wouldn't leave it on unless there is something that it's doing. Doesn't really matter if u are thinking about how long the hardware will last, but as turning it off would save electricity which is always a good thing.

MooseMan said:
pinky shutting down windows overnight wont nessicarially show a noticeable improvment, unless restarting soon after.

cabb shutting down the pc every night will most likely keep it running longer actually. Turning the computer on and off wont lower the life unless done over and over or done improperly. technically the computer will last longer if shut down for the night because you will be saving estimated lifetime hours of the parts.

also as dj-chris mentioned your saving energy and money.

Yeah, I kinda figured that, but I read somewhere a while ago that cutting off power from the pc may shorten the life of the cpu, but I can't remember where it was and if the source is credible.

I dont think theres any right or wrong answer to this, ive seen it talked about loads in the past. There are +ives to both sides of the argument

You will read in alot of places, that to switch your computer on, switch it off, switch it back on, etc etc, will use more power, as oppose to just have it on all the time. If you do leave it on all the time, the computer will need to be restarted once in a while, just to get rid of those temp files, which bug it down.

Back
Top Bottom